Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,971   Posts: 1,523,569   Online: 856

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Sttrange question.

So sorry I offend anyone in advance. Certain events in my life recently have offered me the opportunity to move to south Australia next year to start afresh a new chapter in my life and I'm right now at the moment wondering given the choice, which part of south Australia should one move to for someone like us, a photographer? Which city offers the best access to gear and film as well as great places to shoot?

This is a rather weird question I'm sure but lots of weird things have always been happening in my life.

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Where are you based at the moment?

It doesn't seem that you know too much about South Australia if you're asking which city; there's only Adelaide.

Or, perhaps you mean southern Australia?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At this point, I am currently living in Malaysia and I have the chance of a lifetime to move there and work for 2 years, my job requires I be based in Australia and I can choose the area (It's complicated) but I can choose not to go Australia as well as remain here. But then why pass up such a cool once-in-lifetime chance?

Shooter
    35mm
    summers are hot and dry, winters are very mild.. adelaide is a quiet city. i dont know much about photographic opportunities but id do it for sure!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Sttrange question.

Hobart, cannot get more southern Australia than that. Great place too.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    For photography, move to Hobart. Great landscapes within coo-ee (that's Australian for "nearby"). Otherwise, Melbourne. Adelaide can get a bit sleepy for my liking. (whoops, war started inadvertently)...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I concur - Hobart for photography, Melbourne for lifestyle... Mind you, the state of Victoria has some quite varied terrain - from coastal to alpine, desert and temperate rainforest, all in a relatively small area.

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Mind you, 90 minutes north of Adelaide (i.e. 87 minutes out of town), you start to get into the arid areas.

There are some pretty impressive areas around the Flinders Ranges.

Also, you have Kangaroo Island.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If your work is able to be conducted in a wide choice of locations perhaps connectivity is important to you? Different areas in Oz have better or worse standards as it is a big country. Some places in little Tasmania have the new super fast NBN connection for communications, as have some other ares. My home, 80 km from Sydney doesn't and I use ADSL. If this is important you'd need to check out the current state of the ongoing roll-out of the NBN.

Otherwise, Melbourne always looks like a photogenic city to me when I'm there--Sydney does have its points.

Melbourne and Sydney are probably the best choices for gear and film (although that is becoming scarce and expensive. Vanbar (Melbourne and Sydney stores) are major suppliers, see: http://www.vanbar.com.au/catalogue/index.php

If you don't choose to process and print yourself the better cities are also Melbourne and Sydney.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SMBooth View Post
    Hobart, cannot get more southern Australia than that. Great place too.
    Antarctica
    my photo blog;
    www.jamesruff.net
    Flickr
    35mm/6x4.5/6x6/6x7/6x17/4x5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin