Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,829   Posts: 1,582,250   Online: 1026

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Help me find a 4x5 enlarger!

Hi all! I'm slowly building up my darkroom and am trying to find an enlarger that will take up to 4x5 negatives. Can anyone suggest places to look in Australia, particularly in SA? I'm on a pretty small budget - is it unrealistic to hope for something that at least works for $200-$400? What models should I be searching for in this price range? Or should I just build my own?
    So far I've tried vanbar, local camera stores, ebay, gumtree and the last 2 issues of photographic trader but haven't seen anything at all let alone anything around my budget.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Tim and welcome to APUG. Not sure what brands are common in Australia, in the USA Beseler, Omega, Durst are common, and all are pretty good. Pricing is all over the map however, inexpensive ($10) ones sometimes are available. Good Luck in you search.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    This is a little more than you budget and I'm not sure how close it it is, but the LPL's are nice enlargers.

Roger

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ighlight=Sinar

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TimF View Post
    So far I've tried vanbar, local camera stores, ebay, gumtree and the last 2 issues of photographic trader but haven't seen anything at all let alone anything around my budget.
    I think you're trying the right things so far. Total Photographics in Kent Town usually has a few used enlargers in the back room, but it's rare that they'll have anything capable of 4x5. As to your budget, enlargers can be priced with big variation; some sellers still want the big bucks, some people are just happy to get rid of them, getting one for the right price is a matter of luck and persistence.

Another suggestion is to keep an eye on the local auctioneers, such as MGS etc. They usually list their upcoming items on their websites.

Good luck!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi Tim, I think your budget is quite realistic but you will need patience to wait for the right enlarger to come along, especially in a smaller city like Adelaide. I've got a spare Beseler 45 and a load of lensboards and carriers but I'm in Melbourne and I hate to think what the courier cost would be for something so big.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try Craig's List. If it is in your area, you can drive over and pick it up. Many people would just like to get the enlarger out of the garage and you can help them do that if you like what they have.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Some of the Adelaide guys will probably chime in here. Otherwise, you will probably have more luck looking around Melbourne. There are usually a few available. Some people here often have one or two surplus to requirements.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very few on the scene in ADL - I've been looking for ages also. And unlike our US counterparts, the $10 enlargers are like pigs flying; if you are lucky enough to find one for that price, you definitely deserve a medal!

Total Photographics are the guys I'd suggest as well, although they have had nothing in the way of 5x4s for quite some time. They do have the final edition of the Photographic Trader (RIP), which often had 5x4 enlargers listed. Pretty sure it had some listed, but can't remember prices off the top of my head.

The Melbourne option is a good one, a day trip could land you a nice souvenir. . . . . .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cheers everyone for the replies! I've been bothering total photographics and they have my number in case anything turns up
    I'll keep an eye on auctions too, good tip.
    Melbourne day trip eh.....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I know there are a few around because TAFE auctioned 20 DeVere 504s about 18 months ago for $150 each - I got one. I suspect that if you posted a few WTB ads that one might come out of the woodwork. Maybe a Wanted poster in the windows of Total Photo and Atkins would get you somewhere?

PS assuming you're not Tim D and we already know you you should join the rest of us Adelaide film nerds for monthly pub-night and film-trash-talking. It's like a camera club without the oneupmanship and competition.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin