Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,438   Online: 894

View Poll Results: MELBOURNE APUG OUTING No. 4: Your thoughts (multiple options okay)

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • March 9/10 Beach

0 0%
  • March 9/10 Urban

1 10.00%
  • March 9/10 Bush

1 10.00%
  • March 16/17 Beach

1 10.00%
  • March 16/17 Urban

1 10.00%
  • March 16/17 Bush

0 0%
  • March 23/24 Beach

3 30.00%
  • March 23/24 Urban

4 40.00%
  • March 23/24 Bush

5 50.00%
  • Other option(s)

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan View Post
    One inland possibility is Melville Caves north west from Bendigo, about 180 klm's from Melbourne.

http://bonzle.com/c/a?a=p&p=215282&d=pics&cmd=sp

If you click on a picture you can then scroll through a fair assortment of scenes available to us.

Should help those who live north of Melbourne and those who may wish to camp or find a local bedsit.

Mick.

It's worthwhile. I would be making my 33rd visit to the place if I did go! It's ideal for camping, with the setting sun creating a striking golden hue on west-facing boulders on the summit (see below) and also, if you hang around long enough, for the extremely impressive 'fire in the boulders' show — a cherry red afterglow set deep in a granite fissure that looks like aflame is dancing. I have an Ilfochrome on the wall here of such a scene.

It's a 460km return trip for me from Geelong, probably a bit longer for Melbourne peeps. I'd make it an overnight trip if the weather is fine and clear, for the unmissable opportunities of working with sunset and sunrise light. I think my bushwalking group is planning an overnight camp there; I'll need to check dates.

• Rock of Ages, west summit, Melville Caves, Kooyoora State Park

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boulders October 2008.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	349.4 KB 
ID:	63149

sent from e732 | Lake Sambell CP, Beechworth
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

One beautiful image is worth
    a thousand hours of therapy.

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government
    to save the environment."
    .::Ansel Adams

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    This seems to have died a slow, quiet death...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Maybe we all got distracted by Australia Day? I am totally up for Melville Caves - I remember hating there on a family trip in the 80's - I am sure my perspective will have changed :-) Google Maps says it's only a two hour and 43 minute trip from Hawthorn... That would make the mid-coffee stop Castlemaine, which ain't bad at all.

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Sorry to jump in on your 'Melbourne Outing' thread but as you are planning things around Easter, and you seem to be large format users, I thought you may want a suggestion.

Goldstreet Studios at Trentham is hosting the Australian Alternative Photographic Process Symposium at the start of April. Several very experienced people from around Australia and overseas are speaking and running workshops. The famed daguerreotypist Jerry Spagnoli from New York will be there for one. This will be the biggest event of its type to be hosted in Australia.

If you are at all interested then you can find some information on the Goldstreet Studios site:

http://www.goldstreetstudios.com.au/...ymposium-2013/

Have fun at your outing.

My best,

Craig

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ohhh, such a shame guys - I'm in Melbourne on the 2nd and the 3rd. Would have been good to catch up.

Cheers

Shooter
    Holga
    End of March should be OK for me too and the Melville Caves sound good. I'm still exploring Victoria so any suggestions you old-hands come up with will be OK with me.
    Just have to make sure I've accumulated enough brownie-points with the boss for a weekend pass.

Recently discovered the Murchison Gap LO and Strath Creek Falls - worthy of a return visit when the sky's a little more angry.

/Frank...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    So are we in fact saying: March 23/24 at Melville Caves? Who's in?

Mick, LJH, mrsmiggins, poisson du jour, munz6869....??

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Is there actually much there? Google Images doesn't really sell a 500km round trip to me. More than happy to hear more about it (perhaps I'm just a bit gunshy after the Phillip Island shot-free trip...)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have voted for March 16/17 Urban, but March 23/24 is equally good/not good. I feel guilty placing a vote because I have missed the last couple of outings due to other commitments, and it's just as likely I will have to miss this one also for the same reason. Long distance / overnight places it even further beyond my reach. So I guess I'm saying that you should discount my vote....if it had much value in the first place.

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wotalegend View Post
    So I guess I'm saying that you should discount my vote....if it had much value in the first place.
    Don't undersell yourself!!

If you've got some thoughts as to where/what urban location, they're just as valid (and likely to happen) as anyone else's here!!

Please, post your suggestion(s).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin