Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,583,048   Online: 942

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's it! (God I keep spelling it Angus, not Angas.) It's a pretty nice building, it has a big THE MILL sign up in the windows now. The upstairs workshop space of the complex is the best part, lovely big old industrial windows spewing light all over the place. We'll be using it to run our workshops. Our last location didn't have any windows so we shot wet plate with a bunch of halogen lamps for the UV, but window light will help a bunch.

Thank you for the offer Dr Croubie! I'll let you know if we need a hand, we're just in the starting stages of assembly right now and we should have a better idea of the scale of it after the next few days. The one day film developing workshop doesn't cover printing as we find most people intend to scan rather than convert their laundry to a darkroom (something we of course try to encourage, but it's not for everyone), but if you come in for a day's printing I'd be happy to give you a one on one refresher on things. It'll all come back you after half an hour.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxleyroad View Post
    Alex I wish you and your team all the best. I look forward to when you or your team might be again participate in the Oz / NZ print exchange. I will sponsor some funds once I have approval from the financial controller. The $300 wet plate. I would seriously consider this and the journey over from Melbourne for it.
    If you do Andy, I'll pressure the Minister for Funds and Fun and see if I can join in as well.

Hawthorn Oz, then MI USA from March 14, 2015!
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ok Ash we have a common challenge ! And I would like to meet Alex and his team.
    Cheers - Andy C
    ---------------------

16mm Cine, 35mm, 120, 5x4 & 7x5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, converting the laundry or bathroom is kind of out of the question (for a start, they've both got skylights, which we like). I've always had my films done by B+W in Stepney and then scanned, but just recently decided to start developing my own rolls (haven't started yet or even bought any chemicals or a tank, still researching, leaning towards xtol to start with). Come to think of it, maybe that $75 jobby might be a good idea anyway.
    (Aside, where do you buy chemicals around here? B+H have xtol for $10+30, Vanbar in melbourne have it for $15, I don't think Hutt St have it. If I could buy some mixed up occasionally, might save some hassles).

I'm sort of remembering my darkroom days at school, only ever B+W. Load, frame, focus, choose a contrast filter, test-strip, dev bath, stop bath, fix bath, repeat. or something like that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Andy! If you are in Melbourne I'd suggest giving Ellie Young a look at Gold Street Studios, her workshop is only slightly more expensive and definitely a lot closer. We've had calls from as far away as Sydney about the workshops in the past and for some cases Gold Street just makes a lot more sense. Ellie's also been wonderfully supportive of all of us and supplies the salted collodion we use in the lab here.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We're actually pretty lucky to have a lot of suppliers available here in Adelaide, we listed the ones we could think of here:
    http://www.analoguelab.com.au/analogue-in-adelaide/

I'd go to Total Photographics in Kent Town, they have just about everything. Tanks, all the chemistry, fridge full of film, the whole lot. Xtol is a tricky one, I haven't seen it on shelves for about a year now, but it's my favorite too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    Yeah, converting the laundry or bathroom is kind of out of the question (for a start, they've both got skylights, which we like). I've always had my films done by B+W in Stepney and then scanned, but just recently decided to start developing my own rolls (haven't started yet or even bought any chemicals or a tank, still researching, leaning towards xtol to start with). Come to think of it, maybe that $75 jobby might be a good idea anyway.
    (Aside, where do you buy chemicals around here? B+H have xtol for $10+30, Vanbar in melbourne have it for $15, I don't think Hutt St have it. If I could buy some mixed up occasionally, might save some hassles).

I'm sort of remembering my darkroom days at school, only ever B+W. Load, frame, focus, choose a contrast filter, test-strip, dev bath, stop bath, fix bath, repeat. or something like that.
    Blog thing!.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    converting the laundry or bathroom is kind of out of the question (for a start, they've both got skylights, which we like)
    I had a bathroom with a skylight I used for printing at one stage. I used to cover it with a heavy cloth cover (got the wife to sew it up like a fitted sheet!) and print at night. Worked fine!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Dr C, where abouts are you? (I'll also put a plug in for the Film and Dark Room users group, meeting at the Gilbert Street Hotel, probably on the 22nd of April.... )

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Cool thing! I've always wanted my name on a plaque...

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    President, Melbourne Silver Mine Inc.
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/
    http://silvermine.org.au

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Woah, sounds like you're yet ANOTHER Adelaidean; must be something in the water. Join us (me, hoffy, some old farts and sometimes Alex when he's not busy) for monthly pub nights! Mailing List Here.

As to chemistry, I buy from L&P ("Total Photo") in Kent Town. $15ish for Xtol (I priced them as being slightly cheaper than B&H once you pay shipping, even in large quantities) and $55/5L for fixer. I have an unused bag of D76 if you want that on the cheap.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin