Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,989   Posts: 1,524,092   Online: 1103

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Does anyone in this great brown land have some 8x10 film holders to sell me?

I'm thinking of building an 8x10 camera.
    I'm building a CNC light duty milling machine which should be able to make a lot of the metalware needed and I have a lathe for knobs and such.
    The body will be wood but I don't wanna make film holders.
    Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll keep my eyes open for you Pete. I don't really want to unload any but when you build the camera and if you still don't have any your ok to borrow a couple.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SMBooth View Post
    I'll keep my eyes open for you Pete. I don't really want to unload any but when you build the camera and if you still don't have any your ok to borrow a couple.
    Thank you Shane. I suppose it's best I tell you now that I'm planning on picking your brain about how-to's - particularly about making the bellows .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can ask, but Ive never made them. I'll come and watch/help if you like because it something I would like to know. I do think I have some docs about making them I could shoot across to you.

Shooter
    35mm

DD's

Pete, try phoning B&W photographics, (Invermay/Launceston) 03 63266788. He has a shop-full of old stuff.

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by OldBikerPete View Post
    Thank you Shane. I suppose it's best I tell you now that I'm planning on picking your brain about how-to's - particularly about making the bellows .
    Pete,

I started on an 8x10 in the last 6 months (albeit on hold as I've changed my mind to a 7x17).

Clint Eastwood said in Magnum Force, "A man's got to know his limitations". I know mine: I can't build bellows!

As such, I bought a Sinar 8x10 bellow. Sinar was critical for me, as it will allow me to use a Sinar shutter. Vitally important to me as I have a few barrel lenses.

So, to get to the crux, have you thought about buying bellows?

I have found that http://www.jbhphoto.com/vcam/vcams1.htm is a great site for getting ideas on how to do thing. Not sure if you've seen it?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm headed out to my friend's second hand camera store at a more reasonable hour today - I'll keep my eyes open for you and, if Jack (the owner) has any, I'll get him to put them aside for you. Since film holders are completely outside my area of expertise, I'll try and get as much of a description on what he has and get back to you later today.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks, Molli.

Shooter
    35mm
    I checked B&H price for a 10x8 DD. Just under A$300 with post - ouch. The problem Pete is that we and many 10x8 users only used them for studio still-life set-ups... shoot, send off to lab, wait for confirmation it wasn't sitting at the bottom of a tank, do next set-up.. Only one DD or two needed per camera.

Caution... somebody may offer you an oldie, grooved to take glass plates instead of film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sorry to let you down, Peter, I didn't make it out to Jack's today but will definitely do so tomorrow (and I'll be sure to keep John&Tessa's caution to heart about the glass plates holders).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin