Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,001   Posts: 1,524,386   Online: 928

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    So did they (the ships) end up leaving today, or will that all happen tomorrow?
    They were due to sail out from Willy at 10 am. I had to leave earlier, around 9.30 am, but got to see some crews readying for sailing.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    So did they (the ships) end up leaving today, or will that all happen tomorrow?
    They were all gone by 11am. Nice to see but quite difficult to find a good spot for the tripod. Good to see the APUG group. The first APUG meeting I could reach by walking. Marc, was looking for you and Christine after the ships left. Did you stay in Williamstown for a while?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well I've just gotten in from today's job now, I think it'll be a matter of deciding in the morning whether I come up or not

My goal in life, is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Did you stay in Williamstown for a while?
    We ran away as the ships started leaving (and I'd run out of film!). Well done getting us down to see them, Joachim! All my negatives have something on them so I might scan a couple tomorrow and post anything decent...

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Me and family are heading down to Point Lonsdale this morning to view the ships leaving through The Rip around 9am (they must have a big high tide to get out of it!). Then lunch at Vue Grand then...eventually back home. My last local outing before heading for outback NSW and SA.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Well, did you see them, Gary? The talk on the dock was that there is weather blowing up and they were going to change their plans and try the heads by midnight last night to get ahead of the blow.
    Peter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OldBikerPete View Post
    Well, did you see them, Gary? The talk on the dock was that there is weather blowing up and they were going to change their plans and try the heads by midnight last night to get ahead of the blow.
    Peter.

Yes Peter, we saw all 6 of them line up, tailgate, swerve, verve, pull in, pull out and eventually tack one after the other as they sailed out the Heads with a healthy breeze to guide them. Peak hour at The Rip was chaotic, with 4 tankers having to take really wide berths, all coming and going amidst this quaint, old world flotilla of lovelies. There was very little wind until around 10.50am, when it became a definite on-shore breeze. They passed through the Heads about 11.15am bound for Tassie. The crowd of thousands pushing, shoving, wrangling kids and dogs and even a should-tethered galah... then left (good riddance!!). Mind you, 2.5 hours of standing and having foot, then tripod attacked by a neurotic, wide-eyed terrier hasn't actually done wonders for my distemper...replaced shoe lace, now repatriating tripod leg. Stupid bloody dogs.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The tall ships were great, but most people were more interested in Peter and Marc's cameras.
    It must be a 'thing' with the nice weather. This arvo, I wandered up the street to photograph a particularly awful building next to the newly restored Hawthorn Town Hall (because council is going to demolish it shortly and replace it with a park), and for the short time it took me to setup the Wista and make a photo, there was quite a bit of interest - including one young lad who wanted to know all about the camera because his uncle had bought a 10x8" and he was thinking about ditching the DLSR and getting a 5x4". He looked about 17 - the future is (a little bit) analogue, ladies & gentlemen!

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    And here's the first of my 5x4" scans from yesterday...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tall Ships 5x4001small.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	413.5 KB 
ID:	74387

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Very nice, Marc. Was thinking of such a central perspective as well but somehow did not get the framing right. This is perfect.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin