Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,933   Posts: 1,522,243   Online: 1056

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Yep, I'll be up for it now that I'm gonna be back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsmiggins View Post
    [...]One of my favourites is on the Mansfield-Woods Point Rd near Howqua.
    Google: 2068-2120 C511 Macs Cove VIC 3723 ‎
    /Frank...

I'll second that general environment for scenic value!

There are treats all around them thar hills.

Good too is the ever-photogenic ancient servo at Woods Point (there's a decent pub, too!). An adventurous but scenic drive to get there. Other places are the A1 Mine Settlement and Gaffneys Creek with their ancient, tiny two-roomed shingle cottages dotted throughout the lonely bush. People do live there (wouldn't be many now I imagine) and it's doubtless a very solitary and self-sufficing life, and utterly isolated to boot. By way of mention, I rode my touring bike from Mansfield to Walhalla (we caught a Harris diesel-electric train from Melbourne to Mansfield, something you just will not see in this day and age) in 1981 with cycling author Ray Peace over the Cup Day weekend at the time (written up in cycling rag "TROCHOS" as 'From Woods Point to Walhalla'): very rough mountain tracks, extreme gradients, heavy rain, ice, snow and slush (unsealed road through Walhalla until 1984). Wasn't keen to see it all again — and then, bravely or not, in the comparative comfort of my first car (a Sopwith Sigma!) in November 1994!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Woods Point servo.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	214.9 KB 
ID:	74583
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Just a quick update:

Saw my first, and possibly last, ever Moonbow* over the lake on Friday night. Amazing…

*Moonlight rainbow.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin