Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,001   Posts: 1,524,383   Online: 913

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Help me find a compact 4x5 enlarger ? (Melbourne)

Hi All,

Long time lurker now needs help...

I've got a small but very efficient contact printing darkroom setup in my house. I mostly use it to load and process sheet film (4x5 and 8x10) colour and black and white for my jobo. Plus I contact print up to 8x10. But I really want to be able to enlarger my 4x5 stuff.

I know an 8x10 enlarger is out of the question - I have access to a Durst CLS 2000 for that, but it's a long drive away.

I'd really like a Bessler or Omega table top unit (or a Durst would be fine). In my dreams I'd like an Ilford Multigrade head on it !

Anyway have leads or suggestions of where to find something without spending a huge sum ?

J.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'll keep my eyes peeled - for a while these kept popping up around work, but I haven't spotted one in a while... I wouldn't have ever used the word 'compact' to describe a 5x4" enlarger though - my AC1200 is a desktop model & I can't lift it on my own without dismantling it quite a bit...

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A small 45 enlarger is like a Labrador that's not hungry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    An LPL might fit the bill. It has a vertical column, and you could mount it directly to a countertop, so that the width of the baseboard would not be an issue. They are a good bit shorter than units like the Durst 1200, and the head is relatively compact compared to most of the others.
    I have one in my darkroom which is around 2.5x4 meters.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have a spare Beseler 45 that might fit the bill. It actually has an Ilford 500 head on it, but that is being transferred to its replacement (an L1200) and the old condensor head is going back on it. There are a lot of lens boards and neg holders for it including the 35 and MF negatrans units and the 4x5 negaflat glassless holder. PM me if you are interested and I can arrange a time for you to come and have a look at it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    There was a fellow who was selling an entire darkroom that filled up a whole garage a few weeks back, among other things he had a nice LPL 4550 setup which is just what you are looking for. I think the user was koons or something similar here or on LFF. he might still have it. those machines are worth every penny, and are some of the best enlargers ever made.
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ewins View Post
    I have a spare Beseler 45 that might fit the bill. It actually has an Ilford 500 head on it, but that is being transferred to its replacement (an L1200) and the old condensor head is going back on it. There are a lot of lens boards and neg holders for it including the 35 and MF negatrans units and the 4x5 negaflat glassless holder. PM me if you are interested and I can arrange a time for you to come and have a look at it.
    I will second that recommendation, the Beseler is a great machine, although a bit heavy. The condenser head is one of the best I have ever worked with (LPL, Durst etc).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Any takers on the Beseler?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The Beseler has gone to a new home with James although there are 7 left over lensboards, 3x4" and 6x7cm neg holders and both negatrans units if anyone local is in the market for extra Beseler bits.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Yes thanks indeed Paul. I will post a photo once I've got it fully setup and installed... it is a tight fit to say the least, but I think it will be quite workable for prints up to 16x20 say.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin