Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,707   Posts: 1,482,859   Online: 962

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Those noisy flashbulbs!

I'm always amused and irritated at the noise added to the flash exposures of any sort on current TV programs. I've shot hundreds of flash bulbs and I don't recall any sound over the tiny click of the leaf shutter. And my various electronic flashes are essentially silent.

"Too bad I sold my Ernemann folding camera from 1926 with an Ernostar 1.8/85mm lens. Would have been a nice prop." Wow! I've only seen pictures of these semi-mythical beasts. I did find this DieselPunk web site dealing with the Ermanox camera: http://www.dieselpunks.org/profiles/...era-16-ermanox and Dr Erich Salomon who used the camera to good effect. Sadly he was killed by the Nazis.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Before flashbulbs, photographers used flash powder piled up on a flat surface held up over one hand.
    Besides a great flash effect, there is also the dark spot on the ceiling.
    I have a recipe somewhere, complete with publisher's disclaimer about responsibility for damage.

Shooter
    35mm
    It is a good series. I've seen a couple of episodes. Actually somebody had it on YouTube, but it has been removed.
    Jon

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by GRHazelton View Post
    I'm always amused and irritated at the noise added to the flash exposures of any sort on current TV programs. I've shot hundreds of flash bulbs and I don't recall any sound over the tiny click of the leaf shutter. And my various electronic flashes are essentially silent.

"Too bad I sold my Ernemann folding camera from 1926 with an Ernostar 1.8/85mm lens. Would have been a nice prop." Wow! I've only seen pictures of these semi-mythical beasts. I did find this DieselPunk web site dealing with the Ermanox camera: http://www.dieselpunks.org/profiles/...era-16-ermanox and Dr Erich Salomon who used the camera to good effect. Sadly he was killed by the Nazis.
    My mom's Kodak box brownie that used 620 film and, I think, 25(B) flashbulbs often made a sound. I always thought it was the fusing of the plastic coating on the outside of the bulb. That's what gave you that great flashbulb smell. Don't you miss it, eh?
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by semi-ambivalent View Post
    My mom's Kodak box brownie that used 620 film and, I think, 25(B) flashbulbs often made a sound. I always thought it was the fusing of the plastic coating on the outside of the bulb. That's what gave you that great flashbulb smell. Don't you miss it, eh?
    No! I don't miss it, because I was smelling it only five days ago. Sylvania Press 25 bulbs in a 4x5 Crown w/Graflite. At the local state fair. In fact, I was trying to pass on the olfactory experience to a new young photographer.

Went to purchase a soda at a food stand. Was helped by a 19-year-old young lady who took an immediate interest in the camera. Gave her the long story about it. (I also have a short version when appropriate.) She was a photo enthusiast from that other side of the photographic world, but was head-over-heels amazed at this beautiful old handheld bellows camera.

As part of that long story I told her about the sounds and smells of flashbulbs. The tinkling sound of molten metal cracking glass and the sort-of-like-hot-caramel smell of the melted plastic safety coatings. "Take my picture!" she said. So I did, in front of a crowd of very curious onlookers.

Then I immediately moved the reflector lamp up close and said "Smell that? You'll probably never get another chance." As soon as it cooled a bit I said "Hold out your hands" and popped the used flashbulb into them as a souvenir. She was thrilled.

Here's that photograph...

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TimFox View Post
    Before flashbulbs, photographers used flash powder piled up on a flat surface held up over one hand.
    Besides a great flash effect, there is also the dark spot on the ceiling.
    I have a recipe somewhere, complete with publisher's disclaimer about responsibility for damage.
    1909 Victor Flash Lamp Discharge

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by GRHazelton View Post
    FWIW and speaking as a sound editor for most of my career the likelihood of authenticity when the visual is as strong as a flash of any type is remote. I can--in my mind's ear--hear a Phoooof! as I think of it. One of the tasks of the sound editor is to present, at the very least one option for the director's or producer's selection at the sound mix. Mixing stage time is expensive and arguing the authenticity toss during the mix won't get you the next gig in a hurry especially if the mix is delayed while the editor rushes off to fix the missing FX. Film. like photography sometimes, is an art. Authentic documentaries, fine. Atmosphere and drama in fictional film, indispensable. As you may imagine whatever is in the visual is often not what is heard in the track, the real prop just doesn't make the right sound on most occasions or the real prop isn't real: many a monster's cry has a close relationship to a distorted pig, and dry ice and a knife make interesting sounds. A gun fired can require half a dozen separate sound elements.

Doco = authentic Fiction = art & deception

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Good for you, but I hope you got paid as a technical consultant or at least got a credit....

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Cheers, but sometimes it's just nice to help a pal - and it IS for the public broadcaster... :-)

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just saw the episode and the period pieces did look very authentic. Congrats!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin