Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,953   Posts: 1,522,763   Online: 976

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vanbar Robbed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Vanbar Robbed

Seems Vanbar was robbed last night taken was a Toyo45G , tripod and some other bits. So if your mate is selling you a camera like that don't pay full price....
    http://largeformatphotography.com.au...ctoria-robbed/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Robbed at 5.00pm!? Daylight robbery!? How very odd. If they only took a Toyo and that tripod, it does sound to me very much like they knew exactly what they wanted, not somebody with a vague knowledge of LF and struck just for it. There are security cameras in there that should have seen something. Plenty of stuff in that den that is much more valuable too; very strange that a view camera should be taken instead of any number of lenses, cameras and accessories worth a mint.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Maybe they'll make it back on film sales once the thief starts working on his landscape series.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Maybe they'll make it back on film sales once the thief starts working on his landscape series.
    Assuming the said thief doesn't mangle his fingers with the new, unfamiliar machinery. Or maybe he/she is not so unfamiliar with it. This is a very curious heist.

—Anon.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Was that stuff right near the door? It could have been a crime of opportunity and the thief may not know what they have (like when my bag with my Fuji GW680III in it was pinched, sniff...). If so we should definitely keep our eyes peeled - the LF community is not a super-large one after all...

Marc
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not sure if they knew what they were stealing or not.
    On one hand, big LF cameras look expensive (and they are, new), but on the other hand they drop rather sharply on the used market. I just got my Toyo 45D for $150. A new 45Gii is over $4k at B+H, but there's some second-hand on fleabay for under $400 (from Japan, nothing from melbs showing up yet).
    So unless this particular thief has a client in mind (who doesn't want second-hand but somehow is ok with stolen) or is going to use it themselves, they're going to have a hard time off-loading it...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    or S/he'll bring the camera+tripod+accessories back when S/he is told you can't get film anymore ..
    ask me how ..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think LF camera gear depreciates faster than a new car driven out of the showroom. I suspect it was stolen-to-order; an established photographer — a truly awful thought, or maybe even a second-hand dealer, pays a skilled thief to do the lifting. Surely the security cameras would have caught something — there are plenty of cameras in there!
    Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 11-06-2013 at 08:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.

—Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    More likely standing near the door as a display and taken by a dumb junkie.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does vanbar still do that? Putting expensive stuff on display near the door much like David Jones does with well-dressed mannequins just near the door as you go in and people pinch the handbags... not a brainy thing to do....

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk

—Anon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin