Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,340   Online: 1023

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jesus, Hoffy. Good luck making your wife happy.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Before babies turned up, and after much research, my plan was a sink built out of 16mm exterior ply, then coated with West Systems epoxy (resin 105 + hardener 207). The sink is built, but it is still not coated yet. I read good things about the West epoxy elsewhere on APUG.
    Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian David View Post
    Before babies turned up, and after much research, my plan was a sink built out of 16mm exterior ply, then coated with West Systems epoxy (resin 105 + hardener 207). The sink is built, but it is still not coated yet. I read good things about the West epoxy elsewhere on APUG.
    Ian
    So, when do you expect to finish, how long ago did the babies turn up, and did you work out where they are coming from?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Babies started turning up a couple of years ago, and the last one arrived about 6 months ago. I have a fair idea where they are coming from, Kevin
    I am hoping to get the sink coated and up and running this year, but that job is currently classified as 'elective'...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks guys.

I got a semi grunt and nod of half approval from SWMBO, so I will step tentatively into the project. I think having it on castors is the main factor that may mean I will get away with it! I have realised that its going to be tight getting it through the door if I need to remove it - something I just need to keep in mind (I already have a cunning plan, just means a redesign of the trolley).

As for the finish, I have found a stockist of the West system close to me - it seems to be only marginally more expensive the Fibreglass resin, so I think I will use that.

Off to the hardware store in the morning!

Cheers

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    Off to the hardware store in the morning!Cheers
    Once you've finished yours, you can start building one for us

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I built a large darkroom sink out of common materials and used it for many years until I sold it. I needed something deep, and big enough to take four 16x20 trays. Basically I used 8"x1" pine for the sides and ends, screwed and glued together and with a metal "L" bracked across each corner. The base was simple masonite, supported on several cross-pieces and an underneath bede around the perimeter. I let a drain outlet into one end (where I glued an extra pad of masonite underneath for extra thickness). The secret of the whole thing was that ordinary materials could be used, because all of the wet surfaces were coated in several coats of polyester resin - the type that's used for setting fibreglass mat. I had no trouble with the sink in the 15 or so years I had it. This sort of thing is very do-able. Good Luck.

Barry

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Definitely make it fit through a door.

I would suggest that 12mm ply is the absolute minimum thickness and sufficient only if you have a big structure of ribs underneath. Once filled with water, the sink may need to support 100kg+ and you want to make sure the structure is good enough for that without the bottom falling out or the legs folding up under it. Most of the sink designs I've seen are 19mm marine ply.

On marine ply, there are two aspects: the glue used and (more importantly) the lack of internal voids. Non-marine ply can have plies overlapping at joins, which leads to little voids, in which water can sit and fester. Yes you still need to seal it, but it lasts better than normal ply in a damp environment.

You can buy the epoxy used for fibreglassing, mix it up and slap it on with no glass mat, and there you have a waterproof coat. I believe there are less-nasty (and cheaper) versions based on polyester that are maybe easier to work with.

I had big plans for a sink but ditched them: I just use a classic small stainless sink in one end of the darkroom/laundry bench, with the Jobo sitting just next to it. No trays 'cos the Jobo will process prints to 16x20". Much prettier than an epoxied plywood monstrosity and (I would assert) much higher WAF even if my Jobo is always parked in the laundry. But then, I do 90% of the laundry work anyway so she doesn't need to care that it's also fitted out as a darkroom.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Long time ago I considered making a sink myself from plywood. As 2-compound epoxy varnishes were not commonly available then, I even did not think of them. Instead I planned to use 1-component PVC varnish. That should yield a chemically very resistant but still a bit flexible coating. The fumes of those special solvents are nasty though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hmmm, I have to admit I am re-thinking my strategy. I visited the local Bunnings on the weekend to get some sizes and such of certain materials, but didn't get any further.

Like I said, I have a laundry tub for drainage and washing. The main reason behind the sink was as a tempering bath and to control splashes. I have been using trays on benches for ages and I think I have only had to temper outside of my Jobo once. This is going to possibly become a bit of a luxury and maybe not really required.

I think I might go back making a simple bench top. This will also give me additional flexibility, so larger trays don't necessarily need to 'fit'.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin