Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,757   Online: 969

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Strobe Flash Capacitor Problem - Fix?

Hi Folks,

One of my Multiblitz Profilite 200 flash units has blown a capacitor. Online sources have advised this is terminal for the unit Complete disaster, I haven't had them long and was just refining the technique to get good results, I'm gutted. They are not covered by warranty.

First of all do you know if this can be rectified, then, is there anywhere I can take it to have it assessed in Melbourne and maybe fixed if it is cost effective.

Thanks

CD

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A "blown" capacitor would be ruptured. Sure a totall loss.

To test if a undamaged capacitator is the source of the problem, a capacitator-tester appropriate for that high capacity must be used. (But I don't think such a tester woúld tell the wole story even if the capacitator should yield nominal capacity.)

Mulltiblitz might sent just a spare capacitator, if that would be the cause. They most probably can name you an australian repairer.
    Last edited by AgX; 04-28-2014 at 04:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The parts in a flash unit are usually very densely packed. This makes trying o find a replacement difficult. While a particular capacitor might work electrically finding one to fit in the available space is problematic. There is also the hazard involved with the capacitor used in flash units. More than enough amperage to stop the heart.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Large Format
    Somehow I don't suspect the capacitor in the first place.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    The parts in a flash unit are usually very densely packed. This makes trying o find a replacement difficult. While a particular capacitor might work electrically finding one to fit in the available space is problematic. There is also the hazard involved with the capacitor used in flash units. More than enough amperage to stop the heart.
    This is a well spread, old 200W/sec studio flashlight. The manufacturer is still in existance.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you can remove the cap, and take photo and measure the size of it, I will look in my junk box for you.

Johnkpap

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks folks for your thoughts. I've not responded because I've been away for a couple of days.

I spoke to Fotoriesel who are the Australian distributor of Multiblitz and they don't have a service agent currently in Melbourne.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnkpap View Post
    If you can remove the cap, and take photo and measure the size of it, I will look in my junk box for you.

Johnkpap
    Johnkpap, that is very generous offer which I appreciative. I have pulled the front off to find a tangle of wires and diodes that I'll send through photos of to see if can make sense of it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Somehow I don't suspect the capacitor in the first place.
    Tom, what do you think it might be?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If you are going to work with a flash gun or any electrical power you need to first put on the pukka safety glasses and only then open the unit...

Capacitors in any device have failure modes where they explode and you can be a long time blind. The report is like 0.45 long colt, the bits of the casing of the capacitor go a long way.

Apart from the jolt you can get from a capacitor hurting good at the very least, they can hold charge for a long while after they are off, and still hurt good.

The flash caps are high voltage rated the suppliers should send you a suitable replacement.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin