Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,551   Online: 1077

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Sydney Camera Market 22 Oct 06

Just a reminder for the Sydney based (or those close enough to attend) that the next Sydney Camera Market will be held this Sunday, 22 Oct 06 at Ultimo Community Centre 40 William-Henry Street. Ultimo. From 10am - 3pm.

Time to make the trek down from the mountains again!

Regards

Brendan
    [FONT=Ariel]Brendan F Sforcina[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]Magpie: adj, of or like a magpie; characterized by the habit of hoarding ascribed to magpies.[/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Brendan - thanks for the reminder - I may make a quick visit tomorrow. I usually come away with something. In July it was a couple of 4x5 holders and a nifty cable release.
    Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So, what was hot at Ultimo?

Anyone care to elaborate, on how good or bad the market was.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mick,
    I have not been to the Melbourne market but I suspect it is a bit bigger and better than Sydney. I find a lot of the bodies and lens overpriced compared to eBay and other channels. Phil Ramsden (treasurer of the Sydney fair) had the proceeds of a deceased estate and some good condition Topcons went early. There was one guy trying to sell some well worn darkroon gear including two old Leitz enlargers. For $25 I picked up 5 Kodak stand developing tanks with floating lids and a variety of frames and holders for different film sizes. Might have a bit of fun with these in the next few months. Also picked up about $100 worth of Anti Newton glass for $3 from the same guy and a portable CD player for $5!

All up, spent less than $50 including tea and chocolate mini-muffins... a very restrained outing....

Cheers,

Tony

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting bag of stuff you picked up.

I have heard that the Sydney one is smaller than the Melbourne one.

In Melbourne most of the stuff is overpriced, not too much but a reasonable amount, using Ebay as a comparison that is.

However, with Ebay you don't get to hold and shake the stuff, until you have handed over the moolah.

The markets do have their place and it's the real fiddly stuff that one comes across that cannot be beat, plus there is the atmosphere.

Mick.

Shooter
    35mm
    I haven't made it to any markets yet. The first I hear about them is reading about it after the event in the Photographic Trader.

Hopefully someone will post up the date of the Brisbane market when it gets closer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been to the last 4 or 5 Sydney markets and they're great fun. I have always come away with something that I'm pleased with. Most of the gear is expensive compared to e-bay, but as Mick notes, sometimes it's nice to touch before handing over the cash. (Just last week, had to send a nikon 200mm manual focus lens back after the ebay seller said Clear, clean, no fungus, and when it arrived it had a 5mm fungus blob and delamination starting... )

And even if you don't buy at the market, when you finish looking, you take a wander down the hill to darling harbour and swap stories with other market attendees while dropping back a couple of beers and a bit of lunch. Great way to spend a Sunday morning ifyou ask me.

Lasst weekend I was torn, market or richmond air show. Air show won...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin