Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,008   Posts: 1,524,590   Online: 939

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Smith & Chamlee exhibition in Sydney

Thought I would let you know that there is a Michael A. Smith and Paula Chamlee exhibition running from March 8 - April 15 at Point Light Gallery in Sydney titled "Making Contact". While they are here Michael and Paula are also running two "Vision and Technique" weekend workshops at Black Mountain Photographic Workshops. I will be attending the first workshop this coming weekend.

http://www.pointlight.com.au/exhibit...estofboth.html
    http://www.blackmountainphoto.com.au/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Unfortunately the workshop is out of my student budget but it would be great if you could give a review of the course and what you learnt.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ashley,
    I promised you some feedback…..
    I enjoyed the weekend and thought it was a good investment of time and money. Here are some bullet points of observations/learning for me.
    • M&P have a very focused but unhurried style and give the impression of having all the time in the world to spend on whatever topic was important. Before the course we completed a questionnaire which Paula had clearly taken the time to read and absorb. This was impressive.
    • They are clearly dedicated to a certain technique which they are investing a lot of personal time and money in to preserve for themselves and other photographers. Everyone on the course left with a lot of respect for them in this regard
    • The most valuable element for me was the group print critique of student photos. We were asked to bring 30-40 prints from which a sample was reviewed on Friday night followed by a detailed critique on Sunday. They were very straight with everybody and said what they meant using an encouraging and coaching style.
    • Saturday morning was taken up with a printing demonstration by Michael using Azo and Amidol with student negatives. I picked up some useful tips on print evaluation such as getting a sufficient distance away to assess the overall tonal values and separation rather than spending all the time with your nose up to the print. The metronome timing method for print exposure was interesting. I’m not sure it’s for me although I might try a combination of timer and metronome for dogging and burning purposes enabling more precise control and repeatability and continued focus on the print rather than the timer.
    • Saturday afternoon was spent under the darkcloth with Paula, looking at the ground glass of an 8x10 with a reasonably long focal length. This was primarily a demonstration about developing/inspiring vision by using the lens as an independent set of eyes. It was a process of discovery as opposed to the execution of a pre-determined idea. I was a bit uncomfortable with this approach initially because it seemed to be “cheating” somehow – using this dumb box to find things rather than my superior intelligence! It was fascinating how patterns and compositions appeared on the ground glass that I could not see without the benefit of magnification and enclosure in a frame. I guess we all do this to a much smaller extent when deciding on the final composition of a subject we have seen or chosen. But, the idea of plonking the tripod in a random spot and going on a 360 degree journey around the environment was quite revealing.
    • I also picked up a few pointers in matting, framing, mounting and spotting which they also covered on Saturday night and Sunday morning.
    • It also helps to have the culinary talents and great hospitality of Bob and Mary Kersey which augment any course taken at Black Mountain!

Finally, the lasting value was probably the insights into “how to be a photographer” in a holistic sense. There are many ways to be a photographer but it was great to spend a weekend observing and listening to two people “with no secrets and nothing to hide” who have been successful in their particular field. Please feel free to PM me if you have any further questions.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Great to hear Tony. I had the opportunity to meet Michael and Paula in Toronto, but I didn't take their course. They are a nice couple and dedicated to their art.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I managed to get down to Sydney and see this exhibition and was very impressed by their prints. It helps ifn you like their style of photography as I certainly do. Its one thing to see work in B&W but all the better to see the real thing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very interesting Tony, glad it went well.

Whilst I have scanned the horizon, sometimes 360 degrees looking for a picture or whatever with 35mm and medium format, I cannot say I have tried it with LF. I see the logic and I may try it, but I'm not so sure it's for me, interesting!

I was taught printing with a metronome, never liked it, I was always losing count when burning in.

In what area of spotting were they either different or unusual, to what you know or do?

Mick.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin