Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,886   Posts: 1,520,678   Online: 1132

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Mick, thanks for the very informative write-up.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Hi Mick,
    Thanks for the heads up about Kennedy. You were right about them. It's good to know that I might be able to get 8x10 film here in Australia. I'll have to ring them and get a price.
    You'll be pleased to know I took my first shots with the 8X10 this morning of the old derelict barn I was talking to you about.
    Great info about the show.
    Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan View Post
    I made my way to the CR Kennedy stand, had a chat with Marc Payet who is National Sales Manager-consumer (that is what his card says) which takes in Ilford products. After talking only a short time with him, it appears that the distributor of Ilford products in this country is having a bit of an uphill battle in getting their range of products available known.
    ......Mick.
    Hi Mick,
    thanks for the update. It would seem that the Ilford rep. in OZ needs to work on their marketing strategy. Surely this is something that the Ilford head office would want to help with (whether the rep. likes it or not !)

regards
    Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had a bit of a think about this lack of Ilford film products on the official Ilford importer and distributor web site.

It strikes me as odd that something like a year after taking over the distribution of what is really a major B&W film and paper product, there is absolutely no mention of anything that I can find on their website, about Ilford film and paper.

Either the rep, is stretched, the distributor doesn't care, or there is a SNAFU of monumental proportions in the making. I have a tendency to think it may be a combination of all these things

If retailers start to drop off Ilford film products from their websites, then it would only be a short time before schools start to have second thoughts about whether the product is still available. If schools drop off Ilfords radar, then stools will be hitting the fan at Harmon, I would suggest

Mick.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan View Post
    I've had a bit of a think about this lack of Ilford film products on the official Ilford importer and distributor web site.

It strikes me as odd that something like a year after taking over the distribution of what is really a major B&W film and paper product, there is absolutely no mention of anything that I can find on their website, about Ilford film and paper.

Either the rep, is stretched, the distributor doesn't care, or there is a SNAFU of monumental proportions in the making. I have a tendency to think it may be a combination of all these things

If retailers start to drop off Ilford film products from their websites, then it would only be a short time before schools start to have second thoughts about whether the product is still available. If schools drop off Ilfords radar, then stools will be hitting the fan at Harmon, I would suggest

Mick.
    Some extracts from CR Kennedy's marketing approach:

Marketing Approach

"The company's founder, Mr. Clem. Kennedy, established an operating philosophy that still guides us today. He believed in high turnover and low margins. ..... We believe it is essential to keep our suppliers fully informed of all developments in the market. All major suppliers receive a full sales and inventory report every month together with an in-depth market analysis.
    C.R. Kennedy has the expertise, the marketing force, the experience and the advertising power to build brands dramatically in the Australasian market. Any lines handled by C.R. Kennedy receive sales, representation and service second to none in Australia and New Zealand."

(my emphasis added)

Mick, if you could perhaps cite some examples of how CR Kennedy are neglecting to represent Ilford's products to the Australian marketplace, I think we should then consider mentioning the situation to Simon.
    You've already mentioned how there are no Ilford products on their website, and I agree it is rather slack. Do you know of any other problems?

regards
    Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Peter, quite interesting stuff about Clem Kennedy and their company philosophy.

During the conversation I had with Marc Payet he mentioned that he would be making some changes and also that he would send me some information regarding product availability for this country regarding the products I was after.

I will give him some time to respond as I'm sure that after a big trade show like that, he will take about a month to wade through the contacts he has to respond to.

As I have been at these kinds of trade shows here and in Germany as a participant, I know just how trying and energy sapping they can be.

If after a suitable time frame I get no response, I will email him and make some enquiries. If that doesn't work a new direction to our product availability dilemma will be undertaken.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mike (Wino) very good to hear that the 8x10 is no longer a virgin. Once you get a handle on how things go, I would be interested in seeing the results.

I took the 4x5 out on Sunday and tested everything, I'm happy, especially with the 400, which is better than I hoped for.

Some feedback regarding your enquiries about local 8x10 Ilford film, may be illuminating to all of us here.

Mick.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I had no idea Ilford 8x10 film was available here. I wouldn't have got it from the View Cam Store in that case. I have heard recently that Photo Resource in North Fitzroy, Melb, have 8x10 BnW film but I don't know whose film it is or anything more. Keep us posted.

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John, Photo Resource?

I've never heard of them before, who what where and whatever they supply I would be interested in finding out if they have anything I could or may be interested in.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mick (& anyone else interested)... Photo Resource has been operating for years, they used to be in Queens Pde, Clifton Hill. New address is:
    1/430 Rae St. North Fitzroy. If you're driving a long way it may be best to ring first for availability as they will order items which are not fast movers. I often buy my large format film there (5x4). They also carry some second hand darkroom stuff & usually do have a stall at the twice-a-year Camberwell Photo Market. & no, I don't have a financial interest in the place... it's just close to where I live! I think they also supply schools & TAFE's etc.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin