Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,492   Posts: 1,542,974   Online: 858

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Photo Marketing Show in Melbourne

Today I went to Photo Marketing Australia (PMA) in Melbourne, there were a few interesting things I saw and heard about.

Firstly something that came as a complete surprise was the news that Kentmere paper and Rollei films have a new distributor in Australia. Rollei products as far as I knew, had been imported by Vanbar. I was told that Rollei film is manufactured by Maco, I was unsure of this having only read different things on the web, but I received this verbally from a newly appointed distributor, so I assume it’s correct. Pricing of both Kentmere paper and Rollei film and its associated products, hasn’t been finalised. I have been assured that pricing would be keener than previous. I understand that this means pricing will be under what Vanbar have been charging, we will see.

I was given a test pack of Kentmere 8x10” VC Select, Fine Lustre medium weight paper. This product was a surprise to me, I didn’t realise until I was home, that it is an RC paper! I was under the impression that it was a non-plastic coated paper, could be an interesting paper in the future. The one thing I’m kicking myself for, is not getting the name of the new distributor, so I don’t know whom it is, there is nothing at all on the test sample packaging to indicate this information.

I made my way to the CR Kennedy stand, had a chat with Marc Payet who is National Sales Manager-consumer (that is what his card says) which takes in Ilford products. After talking only a short time with him, it appears that the distributor of Ilford products in this country is having a bit of an uphill battle in getting their range of products available known.

For instance; I found out that llford in Australia has 8x10” and 11x14” film, ex-stock, sitting in their warehouse. I think there are quite a few photographers using 8x10” who would be interested to know of the availability of this product locally.

This film is available in both FP4+ and HP5+ in both sizes. I have not seen this film on any Australian dealers website, which begs the question, why not if it’s available ex-stock from the distributor. Surely it doesn’t cost them too much product adding time, to list an item for sale.

The MGIV RC paper promotion in 8x10” sheets should still run for some months as there is a fair amount of stock in the country. This paper is available in the 100 sheet boxes and you get 20 sheets as a bonus, effectively a 20% discount is one way of looking at it. I haven’t seen or heard anything about this from photo shops, I only found out about it after purchasing at Vanbar and finding the promotional info on the outside of the box, I bought six boxes on the spot. This offer is also available in 25 sheet packets, but I don’t know the amount of free sheets you get.

Coming to Australia will be the 8x10” 100 sheet RC paper promo with the multigrade filters attached. So anyone in Australia who wishes to get a new set of MG filters, virtually for free, hang out for it and ask repeatedly when it’s coming at your local photoshop (if you have one).

I don’t envisage being able to purchase 4x5” Ilford film in 100 sheet packets, seems our market is probably too small, so 25 sheet packets or purchase overseas, which is what I will do, unfortunately.

I saw the Daylesford Foto Biennale stand and picked up their excellent 48 page programme guide. It appears that there will be some very interesting photographic exhibitions, which are, as far as I can see, free.

The main exhibition I wish to see is the Charlie Waite (UK) “Landscape” one. Hopefully I’ll get to see original prints, instead of magazine reproductions. This is in the town of Daylesford.

Steph Tout, in the town of Clunes, has “Ensemble Place By Pinhole”.

Kay Mack, in the town of Daylesford, has “Chasing Shadows”. In recent years Kay has been focusing on shadows, making them the main feature of her images. Kay works in B&W silver gelatin and I have seen her work over the last 20 years or so, it should be thought provoking and interesting.

Jeff Moorfoot, in the town of Smeaton, has “Turn me off – Turn me on” Large format images of electrical components. Not sure whether these are silver gelatin prints, we’ll see.

There are literally about 50 free exhibitions of various things photographic, some film based, some electronic, happening over the entire month of June and finishing on July the first.

I think, after seeing the actual programme of events, exhibitions and workshops, there is real value in passing through the Daylesford and district area sometime during June, if you are able.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mick, very informative, thank you!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the heads up Mick. Meant to get down there but things happen.
    I just purchased a 100 sheet pack of FP4+ on ebay from an Aussie dealer (cheap shots AU) no idea where he gets it from. I didn't even know that Ilford made 100's, shows how much I'm out of it!
    Tony

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting Tony, how much? Badger has this product for just under $80 US.

Product availability has always been a problem in this country, but with the advent of the net we are starting to see just what is available elsewhere.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like good news re the distribution of Rollei & Kentmere.
    Hopefully we will see their products more widely available. I'd like to try that new Infra Red film.
    Also interesting news about Ilford films. I must find out if they are bringing any 6.5 x 9 cm FP4 sheet film into the country. I just assumed that they wouldn't & was going to add it to an overseas order sometime.

Is cheap shots a guy in Rozelle, Sydney?
    There was a guy based there a year or so back selling film at good prices via ebay. I used to get 35mm Provia 100 at $8.50 per roll. He was always good to deal with.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Interesting news on the 8x10 Ilford film. I just purchased 50 sheets of HP5 and 50 sheets of Tri-X from Badger because I couldn't find any retailer with it listed in their catalogues. I wonder what the minimum purchase amount is for wholesale.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Paul, I would assume that the minimum purchase for a retailer is one box of anything. Freight is obviously an issue but I would think any retailer would piggy back it onto a group order.

I have had another look at the CR Kennedy web site and have to say that they don't help themselves with trying to sell Ilford product.

You cannot find a mention of any film based Ilford product on the site, so how are we as consumers, supposed to know what we can or cannot order?

Before Christmas I was after a 12x16" box of Ilford paper, Vanbar didn't have it in the surface I was after. I was told they would order it in and it would be about a week, first week of December actually. Well the first week came and as I was travelling into the city I telephoned and found out that yes there was some paper with the surface I was after, I trundled in and picked it up.

The Monday later I received a phone call from their sales staff, wondering whether I still wanted to have my paper as it was now in stock. I informed the staff member that I had actually picked up my paper on the Saturday, fine she said and crossed my name off the list of customers to ring. I think in this day and age, that is a good sign of an astute business set-up.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by goldie View Post
    Is cheap shots a guy in Rozelle, Sydney? There was a guy based there a year or so back selling film at good prices via ebay. I used to get 35mm Provia 100 at $8.50 per roll.
    I think you might be referring to the ebay seller "ahflip"... I bought film from a guy in Rozelle that went under that name... although now he appears to have vanished. Wouldn't mind finding out if he is still selling under another name as he was easy to deal with.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Akalai View Post
    I think you might be referring to the ebay seller "ahflip"... I bought film from a guy in Rozelle that went under that name... although now he appears to have vanished. Wouldn't mind finding out if he is still selling under another name as he was easy to deal with.
    Yes it was ahflip & he did stop selling via ebay. But this seller seems to operate in a similar way so I thought he might have started back. Prices look about the same. I ended up buying direct from him. I have his phone number & would call him when I wanted something & arrange to meet him to collect. The price was generally the price he started the auctions at. I was buying Provia 100 36exp at $8.50 per roll. Last time I spoke to him it was $9.00 per roll. Still cheaper than $20+ in the Sydney shops.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Mick/ Goldie. The seller Ahflip and cheap shots AU are one and the same. I actually buy all my B&W film from him now, good price and always reliable (no, I don't get a kickback!) His name is Steven Menteith and as I said, I have no idea where his film comes from although it's always fresh. Mick. I paid $157.00 for the 100 pack of FP4+.
    Cheers, Tony

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin