Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,964   Online: 1078

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan View Post
    There is a group of us heading up in two weekends time, by all accounts it appears that it really is worth seeing.
    <snip>.....
    Mick.
    I went up on the Queen's Birthday weekend Saturday. Went to some of the displays in Daylesford, including the Convent Gallery and the displays in Creswick - not much to see in Creswick.
    There are some excellent prints in the Town Hall and across the road.
    Not a lot of good landscape work but there is some. There is plenty of portraiture, though.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I popped into Photo Resource today and they do have FP4 and HP5 in 8x10. What is really amazing is the price, $86.00 per 25 sheet box (inc GST) which is exactly the same as I paid from Badger, but without the postage costs. 4x5 was the usual $45 per box, so no great savings there. So not only is there a local supplier I can buy from but they are cheaper than buying from the US as well!

Their stock on hand wasn't extensive, so if you wanted a lot of something it may pay to ring beforehand. I didn't see any Kodak or Fuji in 8x10 but they did have 4x5 from both brands, so presumably would be happy to order in anything you wanted. They appear to sell mainly to government & businesses but were very helpful to an obvious amateur like me.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Hi Paul,
    could you tell me the address of Photo Resource. Until you mentioned them, I'd never even heard of their existence. The fact that they have 8x10 film in stock is brilliant. I think I'll drive to Melbourne and buy some film this weekend. I've started a project of shooting staff members I find intersting at the TAFE I work at, and I think it's going to eat up the film very quickly.
    You wouldn't happen to know if they have any Rodinal in stock, as I've run out of that too.
    cheers
    Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well we visited the area yesterday and had a ball.

There was an extremely interesting display of contact printed 4x5, 5x7 & 8x10 prints that were all shot on June the 2nd and developed, printed, framed and matted in 1 day for display.

They are at the Pig & Whistle pub in East Trentham. You cannot miss it, it is virtually the only building at East Trentham. I would suggest you bring a torch, something like a mini mag light as some of the prints are really stuck in obscure corners which are quite deprived of light.

We then journeyed along to Smeaton to the Anderson Mill where there was a massive display of all sorts of stuff. However the real reason for going there was to see some immaculate 16x20 framed, matted B&W prints done by a photographer who's name escapes me at the moment, someone out there will know of him. He is based in Mansfield and has been operating LF workshops for about the last 15 or so years. His work was brilliant, to put it mildly. Not quite in the same league as Ansell Adams, but not very far off either. I would suggest that anyone interested in seeing just what film based photography is all about from a large B&W print point of view could do worse than see this exhibition.

Whilst at the Mill we also walked inside a real Camera Obscura, which was a buzz.

There were other exhibitions there as well but they mostly didn't come under the format this forum is based upon.

We then visited the Pantechnicon gallery which had some superb Prints from Charlie Waites of the UK About 14 prints in colour, with one print being a B&W one of the sands in Namibia done in a panoramic format.

That more or less was our day except we then had dinner in Stoaked, which is a cafe type restaurant. There was a display of very nice B&W prints there which were well lit and presented from Suzanne Laslett of Adelaide. That was a bonus.

Worth going to, especially if there are a group of you whereby you can bounce ideas and comments off one another.

It finishes next weekend so anyone thinking of going has one last week to arrange their travels to get there.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi Mick. That must be Richard White. I've been to three of his workshops and he is truly brilliant and inspirational and a great teacher - can't say that about too many people. He also happens to be a great photographer. He has aimed for the same printing quality in his calendars as those of Ansel Adams, so he'd be delighted that you made that connection.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi Mike,

Photo Resource Pty Ltd
    1/ 430 Rae St Fitzroy North 3068
    (03) 9481 5200
    http://www.photoresource.com.au/

Paul.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thanks Paul,
    I'll go and spend some money there before the missus thinks of something else she needs.
    Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin