Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,127   Online: 1092

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Daylesford Biennial

I was able to get to Daylesford yesterday for a short time, and took in a couple of the galleries showing photographic works. There is some really nice work on display. A lot of colour and maybe 30% black and white, One black and white shot which was the winner of one of the Canon prizes was particularly good.
    I did get to see Charlie Waites work and was impressed. I'd only seen his black and white work until then.
    I would have liked to see more of the photographs on show but I decided to take some of my own instead.
    If you get a chance to see the work at Daylesford, it is well worth it.
    Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for posting this Mike. I hope I can get up there soon.

Lou

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is a group of us heading up in two weekends time, by all accounts it appears that it really is worth seeing.

I am also looking forward to seeing Charlie Waites work in the flesh, I've never seen his work, except in magazine reproductions.

Thanks for the info Mike.

Mick.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    G'day Mick,
    There is some good work in quite a few of the restaurants as well. How's my old camera going? I made a blue with the 8x10 the other day.
    I took 2 photos of an old bridge with the sun breaking through fog onto it the other day and put the darkslides back in the same way I took them out. I had to process 16 sheets of film (because they were the same way as all the others) before I found which film holder had the two shots. A very expensive mistake in money and time.
    On another note. I found out through my partner, that there is another 8x10 user in Geelong, so I'll be having a chat with him about ordering film from the States to get a cheap rate. His wife goes to the gym where Jenni works, and asked Jenni's boss, who used to do wedding photography professionally, to give a talk at the Geelong Camera Club. Fiona said no, talk to Jenni and get her partner to do it. And here was I thinking I was the only 8x10 user in Geelong. It's a small world isn't it.
    Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mike, your old camera is doing quite well. Once I worked out the various lenses and how they added to my possibilities I was off and away.

The camera itself surprises me with some of the things it can do, quite a neat package better than I thought.

I especially like the 400T and have taken it out a few times to understand what does and does not work.

So far, there are no negatives:-))

I can sympathise with the dark slide mix up, you really are caught between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea. I suppose you could use the clear but processed film, as tests for evenness of developing?

Mick.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Wyno, I ended up buying 8x10 from Badger, 50 sheets of TXP and 50 sheets of HP5. All up cost was US$345 inc. postage. B&H was fairly close too. Trying to get the point where you are paying the least in postage per unit is a delicate act. 100 sheets seemed to be the tipping point where you get past the minimum shipping cost. I've also bought 600 Print File 8x10 negative preservers from B&H which should last me many years. They are available locally, but at four times the cost.

I've got a box of Chinese "Zebra" film to try that came via eBay but I've never seen any more for sale. Likewise for ERA which I've only seen in 4x5 although I believe that 8x10 exists. Unfortunately there isn't much in the way of European film that is cheap enough. Once you factor in the shipping the difference is small enough that you might as well just buy Ilford or Kodak. It may be worth approaching the Australian Ilford distributor directly and seeing if you can buy 8x10 wholesale. I'd be willing to buy some more if you needed a minimum purchase.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Paul,
    Mick Fagan, told me that CR Kennedy are the Ilford importers and that they do not even have 8x10 listed on their web catalogue, but they do sell it. I haven't asked them for a price as Badger Graphic in the States has it for $72.95 US at the moment which is pretty good. I was thinking of asking if anyone wanted to join in an order with me through them. I will only be ordering two boxes of FP4 myself, but if you'd like to join me with the order, that's no problem.
    Mike

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I might give CR Kennedy a call and see if I can get a straight answer on 8x10. I probably should use up some of the film in the freezer before acquiring more but it would be nice to get it locally if at all possible.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Photo Resource in North Fitzroy has 8x10 film, I'm told. They are in the phone book. I believe they have Ilford FP4+ and HP5 in 8x10. Not sure. It would be good to support local suppliers where possible (I have no connection.)

John.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I did call CR Kennedy and spoke to their Ilford person. I was informed that 8x10" is currently available ex stock in FP4+ and HP5+ as well as 11x14".

It should be possible for people to walk into their local camera shop in Geelong and order this film.

If the shop doesn't wish to get this film in for you then the distributor will more than likely deal direct with you. This is not what the distributor wishes to do, but their bottom line, is that they are in the business of moving film and paper!

With stock arriving approximately every two weeks from the UK, there also shouldn't be too much of a problem with special orders.

I myself was very interested in 4x5" film in 100 sheet boxes as that is the cheapest way to purchase the product. Unfortunately Australia will not be seeing this product in 100 sheet boxes, the implied understanding is that if I wish to purchase a couple of hundred sheets then something could and should be worked out.

I think this is a reasonable thing for the local distributor, but realistically this may be a difficult position regarding 4x5" 100 sheet boxes.

The Australian retail price of 2 x 25 sheet boxes, is almost identical to the landed cost of a single 100 sheet box from overseas. Sadly, I cannot see a 50% price reduction happening.

If anyone wishes to get the details of just who to contact in CR Kennedy, pm me and I'll pass on the details.

Mick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin