Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,484   Posts: 1,571,255   Online: 1033

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Advice

Shooter
    Multi Format

Newbie Advice

Hi everyone,

My name is Ria and I have recently discovered my mum's working Kodak Brownie she got when she was a teenager.

I'm looking to find a school/centre/website/shop that would be able to provide a little support on the main aspects of analogue photography (I.e. I want to actually learn about it rather than randomly pointing and shooting and hoping for the best!). I'm based in Sydney.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for your help,

x R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi and welcome, Ria. This site is definitely a great place to learn. For the basics on analogue photography, your local library should have some appropriate books.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Welcome Ria - don't feel at all shy about asking questions. Your mom's Brownie is a fine fun camera to play with, and there are lots of folks here who can at least offer moral support. Have a great time and dive right in!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Ria,welcome to the fold.i would like to say that i learned alot by "pointing,shooting and hoping for the best".personally i think that it is the most fun you can have.then post pics and as you learn by doing you will be able to ask specific questions then practice with the advice you may get.just keep having fun.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Ria,

Welcome to APUG.

I'm not sure, but I'd guess that the Brownie uses what is called 620 film. The more knowledgeable here can advise better.

But if so, while that film size is not "in production" per se, there are some sources to obtain adapted stuff that will work in your Mom's camera.

My Dad recently unearthed a similarly old Kodak camera and I was able to find some "adapted" film to fit it and shoot him ( ) for Father's Day!

I hope the Brownie is just a seed that will grow into a bigger tree of interest in film photography - but, anyway, welcome!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome Ria!

Your Brownie likely uses either 620 roll film, or 127 which is a bit smaller. It should say somewhere on, or in the camera. Both sizes are available, but not necessarily easy to get. Some of the Australian members may be able to refer you to local sources.
    If it takes 620, it's possible to use 120 size film which is fairly easily available. If you search "620" here there are many threads which discuss the methods of using 120 in a camera meant for 620.
    Hopefully, using the camera won't turn into too much of an adventure, but there are lots of people here willing to help you through the maze.

Cheers,
    Barry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It depends on which model of Brownie it is. I have a Box Brownie No.2 that takes 120 rollfilm.

Welcome to the forum Ria.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ria, welcome to APUG.

My mother's Box Brownie Flash II was sold in Australia from about 1956 (in time for the Olympic games) through to about 1968 (old stock)

It isn't designed for 120 film, but it can use 120 film. Winding on is slightly stiffer as a result, but it should work as good as the day it was sold.

I ran a roll through my mother's camera 50 years after she bought it, the results were nearly identical to the pictures she took of me all those years ago.

Perhaps if you could tell us the exact model name and number (if it is marked) we could then work out what kind of film it takes.

Mick.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the quick responses everyone!

I've ordered some film from The Lighthouse in Bondi so just waiting for that to arrive.

I've been interested in digital photography (don't shoot me!) for a few years now and definitely learnt what I did by playing. That's the thing with digital though - it doesn't cost you lots to play!

I'll keep reading up but knowing me, I'll give up on the websites and books, get out the camera and roam the streets for days playing around. I dread to think what my first roll will turn out like!

Thanks again.

x R.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Welcome Ria!

My advice ... "Roam around, taking photographs at random."

One warning: I am absolutely CERTAIN your work will be MUCH better than you think it is. I've taught a few "emerging" photographers, formally, and the most difficult things for them to learn is to recognize their own involvement, their own emotional content in their work, and the "FINE" work they have produced.

Never worry that the work will not be "good" - the greatest fear is that it will not BE.

I confess to envy ... I'd give my right arm to be in your place - just starting out, with "fresh eyes" and a whole WORLD ahead.

Welcome. Make that WELCOME!
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin