Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,557   Posts: 1,573,264   Online: 1018

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format

Things to do in Sydney

I am going to Sydney for work for 2 weeks on Sunday. Its my first time in Australia... I dont know how much time I will have but I wonder what recommendations there are for what to see (any exhibitions?), what to photograph, where to go if I have any time...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you're in or near the CBD, the Harbour Bridge and Opera House are close. Circular Quay is in-between - it's a ferry terminal. The Rocks area nearby has some interesting old buildings. There is a museum right at Circular Quay (I think it's the Museum of Contemporary Art) which sometimes has photography exhibitions - I saw a Wim Wenders exhibition there a few years ago. Stills Gallery is in Paddington which is not too much of a walk from the CBD. I was there a couple of months ago, but wasn't overly impressed with what was on there at the time.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'll be in Sydney in two weeks, but only for a day.

Kevin has some great ideas. You might try the Ken Duncan gallery, which is located in the Rocks; it is just a 10 minute walk from Circular Quay. Campbells Storehouse (also at Circular Quay) is a nice spot to walk around and to photograph early in the morning. Take a walk over the Sydney Harbour Bridge - great views of Circular Quay and the Opera House, that are not to be missed.

Regardless, Circular Quay is a great place to start your visit; Darling Harbour, the Sydney Opera House, Botanical Gardens. You can get around the town on the ferry or subway system easily, do don't be afraid to venture about.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If you want to venture further afield from CBD, I'd recommend a visit to Manley Beach. At least when I was there a decade or so ago (alas) it still had some of the flavor of an Edwardian beach community - at least in terms of architecture etc.

There are lots of interesting ethnic nabes to explore also. Chinatown, of course, comes to mind.

Also consider walking across The Bridge. You'll get some great views of Sydney Harbor and some nice exercise too.

BTW: anyone here know another bridge that is a "coathanger" and considered the inspiration and near twin to Sydney's?

Hint: You cannot walk across it and it doesn't go to Bayonne, NJ!
    Last edited by copake_ham; 09-06-2007 at 07:45 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I got out of sydney as fast as I could! Cities like that just don't do it for me.. I went out to the Blue Mountains and had a blast.. I fogged every single negative I made, but it was still the best trip and most amazing country.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    George had a great idea. Manly is very nice. You can catch a ferry there from Circular Quay. On the way back in the ferry, there are great views of the "bridge" and the "house".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Justin,
    You are in for a treat!
    I hope you like walking as it is the only way to take in the beauty of this great city. Check this site for 3 great walks.
    http://www.visitnsw.com.au/default.aspx?PageID=958
    Bondi to Coogee (via Bronte) walk is a must to get a sense of why there is such a strong beach culture in Australia. You should also try to get to either North Head or South Head to understand why the first colony was named New South Wales.
    As for exhibitions the gallery scene is not great in Sydney. The only dedicated fine art "analog gallery" recently closed. There is a good exhibition currently running at the State Library featuring one of Australia's best known photographers, Max Dupain.
    http://www.atmitchell.com/events/exh...s/2007/dupain/

Some other galleries worth a visit but they are not downtown:
    http://www.stillsgallery.com.au/
    http://www.acp.org.au/
    http://www.blender.com.au/ (does not always exhibit photography)
    http://www.sandrabyrongallery.com.au...xhibitions.asp
    http://www.artgallery.nsw.gov.au/exhibitions/current (a surrealist themed exhibition running at the moment. this gallery is well situated and you can incorporate this into a walk from the opera house around the harbour and through the botanical gardens.)

I'd be happy to meet up with you during your visit if the work schedule is not too demanding. As it turns out I am heading to London on Sept 22 probably about the same time you are returning. Please feel free to PM.

Tony

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For film & other photo supplies the best shop in the CBD is Ted's at 371 Pitt St.

The best shop to look at second hand cameras is Foto Riesel at 364 Kent St. Also good for new gear & other supplies.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks for all that.

Tony, thanks for the offer. I'll see how the schedule looks. Yes that is when I am coming back to London...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Take the ferry from Circular Quay to Watsons Bay. You can walk around the area which is a mix of old fishermans cottages & modern multi-million$ houses. Camp Cove is a nice harbour beach to visit close by & then you can take the walk to South Head for spectacular views back up the harbour to Sydney, across to North Head & out to sea. From Watsons Bay you could also catch a bus or taxi to Bondi Beach, only a few kilometers away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin