Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,921   Posts: 1,522,096   Online: 713

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brisbane newbie

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Brisbane newbie

Hi everyone! I've just moved to Brisbane from the UK and am trying to find out if there is a local camera club. I'm relatively new to film, currently using a 35mm rangefinder but looking to buy a medium format camera soon. I develop my own negs but don't have the space to build a darkroom, so if you know of anywhere I can use that would be great! Thanks in advance, Sean.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Moved from the UK to Brisbane!

Well, after you get done blinking your eyes so much - that big yellow orb in the sky is call The Sun!

Welcome to APUG from NYC.

Geez, I'd like to get back Down Under someday soon too!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Sean, you are a very lucky guy. I miss brisbane so much, I loved it there... What brings you there?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Have been dating an Australian guy for a couple of years now - Brisbane is where he's from. Looking forward to being able to shoot some slow film, like the Adox CHS50 I've been storing! Not sure if you can buy it over here, will need to investigate!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    G'day Sean,

Brisbane is a little thin on the ground as far as Darkrooms for hire etc are concerned. However there is one at West End I have heard about that may be available. I will see if I can find the details for you

As far as camera clubs are concerned there are a few, however be prepared for a strongly digital bent, the reason I am no longer involved. Try looking at the Photographic society of Qld (www.psq.org.au) for camera club details.
    Craig Griffiths

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Sorry Sean, The Darkroom I was thinking of has closed down. Not aware of any in Brisbane, although you might want to try BCPA (bcpa.com.au). They may be able to suggest somewhere
    Craig Griffiths

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Sean! welcome to Brisbane! get out your sun screen! I own and operate a pro Lab in Sydney australia, I have a very keen interest in getting rare and discontinued stocks into this country and offer a wide range of services which are difficult to get in this country. I know im in the next state but if theres anything I can do to help you don't hesitate to drop me a line.

All my details are below.

Steve Frizza
    The Lighthouse Lab
    Ph: (02) 9365 6063
    Mob: 0415 677 522
    Email: Steve@thelighthousebps.com.au

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Chris, I had a feeling the camera clubs would be a bit too digital, but thanks for trying to help me find a darkroom. Stephen, was just admiring your work yesterday - will definitely visit next time I'm in Sydney. I was out shooting today and have just developed some rolls of Adox film. Not sure what the images will be like - I'm just chuffed that they turned out at all (I've only ever developed 3 or 4 rolls). What a great feeling when you take the top off the Paterson tank and see your negs for the first time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

former southsider says welcome

I think you will enjoy Brizzie. Being a 'morning' person helps when the kookaberra decides to announce the rising sun at 3:30am, and he is right. The other end of the day, catching the sunset sometimes almost needs a motor winder, if you are used to the hours of time the sun sets when coming from more northern latitudes.

I was living in MacGregor, and working in Upper Mount Gravatt, and then later on in Wooloongabba. The joy of learning all of the suburb names was interesting. In my native Canada it is the roads, which follow a grid pattern, that tell people where you are at - like now I am east of Erin Mills Parkway, South of Dundas Street.

If you take the Busway thank me. , I was the guy that designed and oversaw the construction of all the bus tracking elements and mechanical system oversight in the tunnels for the SouthEast and Innner Northern Busways.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Welcome to Brissie

Hi Sean,

I've recently moved back to live in Brisbane after 12 years in Sydney. Like you, I've been looking to find some film enthusiasts to go shooting with. I have found a very active Brisbane-based Canon group who are mostly digital shooters so I'm still looking. Which area of Brisbane are you in? I'm just north of Caboolture.

I've not yet had time to set up a darkroom in the new house I've bought. that will come in time. If I find a darkroom for hire I'll drop you a message.

I also have MF gear for sale. Mamiya 645 if you're interested.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin