Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,897   Posts: 1,584,336   Online: 838

Shooter
    Medium Format

Ferric ammonium EDTA source

I am thinking of mixing my own Blix for Ra4 and was wondering if anyone
    can help with a supplier for Ferric Ammionium EDTA. I may have to import this
    but if there is a local supplier I would prefer to deal with them.
    Any help welcome.
    Best Regards Don

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

JD Photochem for Fe Amm EDTA

Claire mails stuff all over the work from here in Canada. Hope you can find a local source though, because this is a 37% aqueous solution, as I recall.

I don't think anyone would be down on you for using a commercial blix in a home brew process. I know there is the pride thing, but, balance that against the option of paying post on more than 60% of the jug being water, if you cannot find a domestic supplier.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Photographers Formulary sells it as a liquid concentrate. Ferric Ammonium EDTA only comes as a liquid concentrate due to the problems inherent in making a stable solid.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Presumably you are in Australia, coz of where the post is.

Have you tried Vanbar?

Quite some time ago I was fiddling with a friend doing colour neg chemistry about the time RA4 was being introduced. I seem to remember using Ferric Sodium EDTA which was a yucky sick looking powder. It did the job.

Vanbar on their Bulk chemistry site list various EDTA salts and acids.

Better yet, telephone their North Melbourne branch on a Wednesday (I think) when their chemist is there and speak directly to a heavy European accented, photo chemist.

Worth a try anyway.

I've been starting to re-stock my B&W chemistry of late and Vanbar have been quite helpful. If you live in Melbourne or Sydney, you can pick up and eliminate courier or postal charges.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Ferric Sodium EDTA is a sick brown powder. It can take up to 4x longer to bleach than the Ammonium salt, and takes forever if used in C-41.

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin