Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,910   Posts: 1,584,668   Online: 855

Shooter
    35mm

Where can I get a nice Film Scanner in Sydney?

Hi All,
    I'm fed up with paying through the nose to have my film scanned (generally at pretty poor resolution) and have decided to invest in a scanner.
    I figure it'll pay for itself within 100 rolls.

Where is a good place in Sydney to get one, and what would I expect to pay?
    I was hoping to spend not much more than about $1000.

Are there any specific brands or models you would recomend?

I'll be mainly scanning B&W negs, and occasionally colour. All 35mm.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The best place to ask is on the Hybrid.com sister site to APUG. They have tons of info on this kind of thing.
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Shooter
    35mm
    I've seen some reasonable scanners appear on eBay every now and then (keep trying to convince 'the boss' we need a Nikon 9000. I use a lab in Waterloo who scan 35mm to A3 for $34 per image with excellent quality. haven't got around to scanning any of MF or LF yet.

Cheers,
    Brett

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Nathan,

For 35mm film negs a dedicated 35mm film scanner would provide the best results, but in OZ these scanners are beyond the $1000AUD budget.

The best price in OZ that I could find using StaticIce.com.au price search was the Nikon LS-50 ED for just over $1000AUD. The Nikon LS-5000ED (which would be my pick if I had the spare cash) is going for around $1900AUD.

I have used the Nikon LS-5000ED and 9000ED (35mm and MF) at my Uni and the output is excellent but while I wish I had one at home I get by fine with an Epson flatbed. The Epson flatbeds may not provide as high a quality scan but they definitely win on bang for buck!

Do some research on the Epson V700. Again using StaticIce.com.au you will find these selling in the $700AUD range.

While this is a flatbed scanner it provides some really great features and the scan quality is very good. Also if you decide to try out larger film formats you are covered as it goes upto 8x10! When you are doing your research keep in mind that the EpsonV750 variant of the V700 is not available in Australia.

There is a good review at photo-i.co.uk;

EPSON V700 Photo Scanner
    http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/int...700/page_1.htm

Epson Australia's webpage on the V700;
    http://www.epson.com.au/products/sca...hoto_specs.asp

Here too is the Nikon Australia website covering the scanners they offer for the Australian market;
    http://www.nikon.com.au/products.php?categoryid=15

A Google search will no doubt also turn up a lot of info.

Quick note when using the Static Ice price search engine.... look at the cheapest sellers and then do a quick Google search of them to make sure they are reputable and not some dodgy setup. Make sure you also check out the Whirlpool PC Hardware Forums at http://forums.whirlpool.net.au for which of the cheap retailers are easy to deal with and won't give you the run around! If possible try and find a retailer that is in NSW (it will list their location in the results page) and perhaps nearby, this will save you some money on postage and probably even better if you can call and arrange payment/pick up in person.

If you go with an Epson scanner there are two items that I would recommend for you to check out...
    1)Vuescan scanner software.... takes awhile to learn and requires some experimentation to get the most out of but definitely worth it in the long run for the level of control it provides. (I would even consider this software for use with the Nikon scanners)
    2)BetterScanning.com film holders and accessories... if you decide to do some medium format scanning then you might consider the Dual MF film holder as an alternative to the one that comes in the Epson box.

PS. I forgot to add that personally I would avoid buying second hand...you simply don't know how hard it might have been used/left on/dropped etc. Any savings aren't worth the hassle in this case.
    Last edited by Akalai; 04-09-2008 at 04:03 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Wow Akalai! Fantastic post! Thanks soo much for your advice!
    I have used a flatbed scanner in the past, and the results turned out quite grainy.
    How is the quality of a flatbed scan and then digital printing at approx A4?
    I might do some trials at my parents place when I go next. They have a flatbed scanner and reasonable quality printer
    I know this is the wrong forum for this digital, and I also asked on HybridPhoto aswell, but I just thought some of you here may have a pretty good idea!
    Seems I was right!

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have a 4000dpi 35mm film scanner with scsi connection and Silverfast (for mac) software for sale in Syd if interested $500. 0417 622 470

Jon

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanBell View Post
    I know this is the wrong forum for this digital, and I also asked on HybridPhoto aswell, but I just thought some of you here may have a pretty good idea!
    Seems I was right!
    most of us are closet digital fans here ... :-)
    Theory: you understand why it should work but it doesn't
    Practice: it works but you have no idea how
    Here theory and practice meet, things don't work and I don't know why
    Homepages: here Blog: here

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin