Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,565   Online: 1114

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Plus-X avalibility in Sydney

Hi All

Is it true that Plus-X is starting to become hard to obtain in Sydney? As I went into Foto Riesel yesterday to see if I could get aprox 10 rolls and said they doubt that Kodak makes it anymore. Last time I asked last year they said that Kodak said that it was un avail until Kodak gets more film from the States. Also is the single use E6 kits easy to obtain as since the merger of Vision Graphics and the Lab I am finding it hard to get to an E6 lab near by my work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quick search of Plus-X shows it available on Kodak's website and you would have already heard about it on APUG had it been discontinued.

Did anyone at Foto Riesel offer to call Kodak Aus. or whoever they purchase from to check???

You are a lot better of buying film direct from Vanbar Imaging via their website (www.vanbar.com.au) or in person at their Camperdown store;

Vanbar Imaging
    Unit 2 / 1 Gordon Street
    Camperdown, NSW 2050
    tel: (02) 9550-5833

hours: Mon - Fri 8.30am - 5.30pm
    Sat 8.30am - 12.00 midday

You'll get a straight answer from people who actually know what they are talking about at Vanbar and if they don't know they will check for you.

As for E6 processing there aren't a whole lot of options left. I used Phototechnica up until their demise last week. I am not sure where you are located but Vanbar supposedly offer an E6 service, although I have never used it, but the only other options I know of are for the Lab in Danks Street Waterloo who I have used and could recommend and Stephen Frizza of Lighthouse in Bondi, who I have yet to use.

Vanbar again would most likely be the best to ask about purchasing an E6 kit from.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If I needed to buy some Plus-X in Sydney my first port of call would be Ted's Pitt St as they seem to keep the best range. Vanbar second I suppose. You could also try the ACP in Paddington but the film might be out of date. If you have more time I would suggest trying one of the ebay sellers such as cheapshots. The film is in date & usually a much better price than the retail outlets. I don't know why a retailer would be suggesting that Plus-X is no longer being made. People should stick to facts, not wild guesses.

As for E6 there are only 2 quality options in Sydney now - Vision Imagelab & the Lighthouse. I know that Foto Riesel had a courier service with Vision at Redfern, not sure if that is still going but it seemed like a good deal for city workers. Otherwise you might consider using mail order to deal with the Lighthouse. It might seem strange if you live in Sydney but for some people it could be preferable to getting to Bondi if that's inconvenient.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    In January, I tried to buy some Plus X from Vanbar (Carlton), and they were adamant that it had been discontinued (and they had none in stock) - well I ordered four boxes from Freestyle instead (slightly cheaper, even with postage), and then a month later, Vanbar seemed to have Plus X in stock again (both 120 x 135), with just "shrugs" in response to me trying to clarify ongoing availability... I love Vanbar, but I reckon these days we are probably better informed about matters film here on APUG!!

Marc!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I bought some Plus-X (120) at Vanbar in Carlton a couple of weeks ago and was told it had been discontinued. I didn't ask whether that was just 120 or all types.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    So what's new about inaccurate or unhelpful service at Vanbar?

Shooter
    35mm

Plus-X avalibility in Sydney

Plux-X is indeed still being produced and sold. It is not uncommon for a retailer, who no longer stocks one of our films, to tell a customer it is off the market. And so the rumors start..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok firstly the E6 processing:

The Lighthouse Lab
    -In bondi
    -Run by APUG subscriber Stephen Frizza
    -Operates an Australia wide mail service
    -Great value
    -Why go anywhere else???? (I have had E6 work done by vision graphics, no probs with there work but Stephen rocks!!!)

Secondly, Vanbar..... Possibly the most useless photographic retailer i have ever dealt with... I have a back order with them at the moment which is coming up 5 months old.

It might be cheaper and a quicker to import the film from the states or try the auction site, you might get some from HK for a nice price

Edit: I would also give Ted's a try
    Last edited by trotkiller; 04-25-2008 at 06:12 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: More info

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was in Ted's (Pitt St) on Thursday and there was plenty of Plus-X on the shelf but no Tri-X!! Also no negative sleeves. Don't tell me I'm going to have to start importing them as well.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That's interesting,
    I have had nothing but excellent service from Vanbar and they almost always have what I need. Ortho film, Rollei IR, Chromium intensifier, gold toner; seriously all of the hard to find stuff is there on the shelf. The people there know photography because they practice it and I've never had misinformation form the Sydney store.

What exactly have you been waiting for for 5 months?

PS. Does Ted's have any of the things I just mentioned on the shelf? Will they order it?

Quote Originally Posted by trotkiller View Post

Secondly, Vanbar..... Possibly the most useless photographic retailer i have ever dealt with... I have a back order with them at the moment which is coming up 5 months old.

It might be cheaper and a quicker to import the film from the states or try the auction site, you might get some from HK for a nice price

Edit: I would also give Ted's a try
    Matt Gorringe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin