Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,393   Online: 708

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

BTZS WORKSHP IN AUSTRALIA

I'm planning to have a BEYOND THE ZONE SYSTEM workshop in Australia. We would need about 12- 18 persons attend. The Numbers would affect the final cost. The course would be run by a wiz on the system from the states. Darkroom,coaching,transport and lunch provided. I'm interested and are looking for numbers.
    ANY TAKERS?????????????

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pat - what is the intended course duration and most likely location? Any rough estimate or range of cost? Personally, I'm not that much into wedges, curves and endless testing etc. but in terms of broadening my general knowledge and understanding it might be tempting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes I will echo Tony here, some basic information would be welcome.

Presumably because of your location, it will be NSW?

I also am not a fan of testing for testings sake, but you can always learn something.

Mick.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I too, echo Tony & Mick's questions!

Marc!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I don't live in Australia obviously but thought I would chime in. I don't like testing either so that is what I like about BTZS. I switched over last year. Now I don't have to do any testing because all of it was done up front. Before I did the BTZS testing, I was essentially "testing" every time I exposed and processed film because the exposure was approximate and the development was approximate. Over time I would tweak a little here, tweak a little there, and feel like I was making progress. In reality, I should have done the testing in the first place. The underlying science does not change and getting past it (with the testing) makes the creativity part much easier and the main focus. Now I have the proper tools to expose/develop TMAX 100 from ~N-2 to N+2 an all steps in between so my prints have improved a lot.

When I read the book, I liked the idea of it but thought I would be a year in the darkroom fussing around. However, all I did was purchase the "film test" from the View Camera Store (a sponsor on APUG). They sent me 5 sheets of TMAX 100 (you can order almost any extant film) that was pre-exposed to a step wedge. I processed each sheet for a different time in my developer and sent the processed sheets back to them. They used a calibrated densitometer to collect all of the data and generate all of the graphs as seen in the book. That is all I had to do and it costs $45. A workshop would be nice, unless you have a good science background and the time to study the system.

The point I am making is that if you are the person who does not like testing, then BTZS is exactly what you need. BTZS gets you past testing so you can focus on your photography with the data to pre-visualize your results better. (I do think that the film testing service is a great deal though and it saved me a lot of time.)
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I certainly would be interested. I sort of understand the use of a scientific method to get repeatable and consistent results.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Guys,
    The numbers required would be around ten people. The course would be held in NSW. The cost would be depend on the numbers and accomadation requirements. The duration would be around 4 days.
    There would be darkroom and shooting workshops. Fees would have cover darkroom hire and the lecture fee.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin