Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,119   Online: 907

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Newbie from Victoria

Hey Everyone,

Just getting back into analogue photography after being put off it in high school all those years ago by reckless idiots turning the lights on in the middle of an exposure :rolleyes:. I'm shooting 35mm at the moment on a Contax 159MM and bought an enlarger of a friend who can't take it with her overseas. She was kind enough to give me a big pile of papers or different kinds that I can experiment with.

I don't have a dark room set up yet but the outside laundry is looking like a prime target.

The part you're dreading is this part though. The questions. Where can I get a good developing tank? Which brand is the best? What brand chemicals have you had success with? Paper grades? Film types?

Cheers!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Ask away mate. and welcome to the dark side.

Regards Daniel

Shooter
    35mm
    Cheers mate. I'm just wondering where to start. What chemistry to set myself up with etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome from Victoria, B.C. Canada!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They should make a musical about moving British Columbia's capital next to Melbourne. They could call it "Victoria, Victoria".

(Okay, the real musical was "Victor, Victoria". Laugh anyway please.)

Welcome to APUG!

Jim
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    <*/waving\*> Hello Skegger of yonder Ballarat!
    Make sure you separate the laundry into dry and wet areas if converting it into a darkroom! And ventilation!
    Camera House stores have heaps of Ilford stuff, including chemicals, papers, tools etc. Not sure if one is in Ballarat (observations are from the Geelong store here).
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Welcome to apug, from Sydney, Australia. There are many different types of tanks from different manufacturers. I use stainless steel as they make it easier to control the temperature. Nikor or Honeywell are both fine. Many others use the plastic Jobo or Paterson tanks. Ebay is the place to get them cheap.

As far as developing chems are concerned, i like Ilford ID-11 as a standard developer. It is easy to use but does not last for as long as i would like. I use it as a one-shot (use once then throw it away). Fix and stop bath are also ilford and they are good too. Film that I like is Tri-X 400 and Ilford Delta 100. A lot of this comes down to personal preference. Tri-X 400 is very versatile and forgiving film. I would recommend this as a starting point together with either Kodak D-76 or ID-11. As many here will tell you, experimatation is only useful when you change things slowly over time. Get to know one combination well before changing aspects of your process such as changing developer/film/dilution/development time. Hope this helps.
    Regards.
    Thanasis.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can second the ebay recommendation:
    nowadays you can pick up a tray kit and a tank in there for less than 100 bucks, including shipping.

I'm using a Patterson universal plastic tank for my 35mm, with ilford's dd-x soup and Acros + HP5 + Tri-X at the moment, going to try Xtol next. Been on Microphen and D76, quite good but not as good as dd-x for my taste anyway.

As for printing soups and recipes, can't help: do most of mine with a scanner and a printer, no space for an enlarger or darkroom.
    Cheers
    Noons (Nuno Souto)
    Gallery here

Shooter
    35mm
    Welcome to APUG from Portland, Oregon, in the U.S.

To the ebay recommendation I would also suggest Craigslist if you have a local one.

I am just getting back into B/W photography, and most of it has so far been 120 film on a TLR. I have been getting some nice results with Ilford FP4. I am working on figuring out where the darkroom is going to go, so I haven't been doing any recent experimentation with papers, but I remember liking the Ilford papers I used to print over 10 years ago.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Welcome from Manitoba!
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin