Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,352   Online: 836

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Working in Aus for a bit

Hello all,

I mainly shoot 8x10, 120 and cine (16mm and digital) and am working in Sydney until mid Jan - didn't bring a camera with me as I thought I might get something new/fun over here but I'm getting some pangs to go digital - a Nice new Nikon D3 with some PC lenses ...

But! I'm still interested in sniffing about camera stores and gear - 2nd hand, antique districts etc... I remember finding a market in Chapel St Melbourne last year with a cabinet full with Bolex 16mm's - anything similar in Sydney ?

Antiques, industrial in particular I find fascinating

What are the districts for this sort of carry on ?

What are the good pro shops and pro labs ? Cine as well as still
    Any galleries more museums that specialize in photography - alt proc in particular ...

thanks in advance for any info,
    Nick
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pro Labs
    Lighthouse at Bondi Rd
    Vision Imagelab at Danks St, Waterloo
    Blanco Negro at Alexandria (B&W only)

Pro Shops
    Foto Riesel, Kent St, City (Leica, Canon, Voigtlander & lots of 2nd hand gear)
    Mainline at Crows Nest (mainline.com.au)
    Ted's, Pitt St City is also a good option for buying film
    Vanbar at Camperdown is probably the best place to buy film & other supplies such as developer etc

There is a camera fair every few months at Ultimo Community Centre, next one should be soon. You can see the ad in the latest issue of Photographic Trader magazine, which is probably the best resource for second hand photo & cine gear Australia wide. available at most newsagents.

There is a second hand camera shop at Kings Cross, Victoria St, called Grace's but their prices are outrageous.

A good source for motion picture film is the Sound & Vision Stock Shop at Artarmon. They are Kodak distributors & seem to have the best prices.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    sounds good!

any one else got info on the antique thing ? (doesn't have to be camera related)

ooh looky:

http://douguponbourke.com.au/
    Last edited by nick mulder; 09-12-2008 at 10:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Melbourne's your place Nick........ as with real estate, prices on most items are lower in Melbourne than Sydney. Hope I don't get a barrage of criticism from Sydney-siders ... I am making a huge generalisation here, but it has some truth. Might be worth taking a trip down the Hume Highway one weekend. David

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    ha ha, yes - I was there last year and yes I do like it a lot - I couldn't see why it was better as I am living in Newtown at the moment and its not bad, quite nice and lively actually but a walk into the CBD and hmmmm... Melbourne please ! gotta check out those beaches though

Work dictates where I 'am' but not where I be myself - If all goes according to plan then I'll get flown around and accom in the places I end up, Aus and parts of Asia (Colonial haunts mostly) so yes Melbourne is currently top of the list

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Nick, There is a few industrial antique typ stores on King St in Newtown, after where it splits from Enmore Rd. There's also one in Alice St, which runs of the right of King St in the same section. There's also an intersting place in marrickville called reverse garbage, which also has a 2nd hand store on site, along Addison rd, near Illawarra (? i think).
    Have fun in Sydney. If you're looking for industrial things to photograph, I can highly recommend Cockatoo Island.
    Cheers,
    Brett

Erskineville

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    This is kinda along the same lines... I am currently considering taking an offer of work in Sydney for a few years and of course what to do with my beloved Kaiser 6x9 enlarger. I'd love to bring it but of course the sensible thing is to buy there. so my question is how much surplus darkroom equipment is floating around and what are the prices like there? I'd be looking at an enlarger that can go up to 6x9 in neg and of course second hand trays etc etc ... Given the size of Sydney, i assume there is a fairly large second hand market.

(now to limit myself to 3 cameras ........ ouch)
    Simplicius

"defying gravity since 1898"

My Flickr Account

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi,

The Australian Centre for Photography in Paddington has a dark room you can hire time in, after a modest membership fee. I'm not sure the largest neg size their equipment can handle but the facilities are great.
    http://www.acp.org.au/

Cheers,
    Brett

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Simplicius,

Besides being able to use enlargers from clubs and organizations such
    as acp, there are quite a few available on that online place: maybe you
    could mothball yours there and get a temp one here? They don't sell
    for much nowadays, most folks here think dig is the best thing
    since sliced bread. Of course, most have never tasted REAL sliced
    bread, but I digress...
    :rolleyes:
    Cheers
    Noons (Nuno Souto)
    Gallery here

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin