Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,519   Posts: 1,572,207   Online: 977

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Melbourne Photography Market Oct 12th.

Don't forget that the Melbourne photography market is on next Sunday.

I know a few people who usually remember this event after it has happened, thought I'd post a reminder.

Doors open at 0800.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why do I always hear about these events when the day is already committed?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks, Mick.
    It'll be nice to remember this time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ...... and I've just logged into APUG 3.30 Sunday arvo!!! Well, probably would've come home with an armful of stuff I didn't want anyway!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, down is the word to best describe the event.

I expect a number of things, but there does appear to be a trend of overall numbers of both tables and punters being down.

I saw a few interesting things down the back of the hall where on one table there were three ½ plate cameras of what looked like the same design, but different models. All of them had a brass lens of suitable vintage fitted and they all looked as though they were literally pulled out of a dump that morning. There were also a couple of magic lantern projectors, one of which appeared to have been converted to electrical power shortly after electrical power came on the scene, these also looked as though they had just been pulled from a dump as well. The cameras had $400.00 on them, not sure whether or not they moved them.

There was a complete Shen Hao 4x5 camera with a Shen Hao right angled viewfinder attached as well as a dedicated Shen Hao 612 back, complete with 645, 6x6 and 6x9 masks. I wanted the 612 back, another fella was after the camera, neither of us was after the right angled viewfinder. Even though both of us sot of hung around for about an hour, coming back, he wouldn't budge. As I was leaving I called back to his table, it was still there, but he exclaimed he finally had a buyer for the right angled viewfinder, but couldn't find either of us, stiff!

Watched a beautiful Hasselblad 503CX fitted with a 150 lens, A12 back after market brighter screen and a prism finder on top, being haggled over and eventually sold. At the same table an identical Hasselblad but with the 180 lens, two A24 and one A12 back, plus odds and sods complete and fitted very nicely into a foam cutout aluminium case, attracted nobody. Both of these were used by the same fella for wedding photography for some years it appears. The 150 fitted Hasselblad went for $1,450.00 to a trio of gentlemen obviously adding to their shared collection of cameras that they appear to use often.

I saw a Nikon F5 and F100 alongside each other that didn't move. $500.00 for the F5 and $400.00 for the F100. Plenty of tyre kickers but no takers. I was reminded of Marko in Canada who recently picked up his camera for $300.00 which I think was an F5.

I picked up a 500 sheet box of Agfa 5x7 MCP 310 RC paper for $25.00 I may use this for a postcard exchange in the future, as well as happy snaps. This made me quite happy.

I believe that there will be some changes regarding the frequency of the Melbourne market day, as well as a possibility that there will be a country held version next year. My money is that the March market will still stay and the October one will drop off.

Look out for the possibility of a September photographic market being held in a provincial city next year. In other words sharpen you pencils and mark your diary for the market then.

Mick.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Yep, definitely getting smaller. There were a few stalls where the seller hadn't turned up and the stage area was looking quite bare. I had done a couple of laps of the hall and only spent $10 before finally haggling on some LF lenses. I ended up with a clean 210/4.5 Xenar in an accurate compound shutter, a set of Congo 250/4.7 cells and a Copal 3 size G-Claron barrel all for AUD$260 which didn't seem too bad to me. The Congo cells fitted straight into a Copal 3s I had sitting around but I'm not quite sure what to do with the G-Claron barrel.

Given the parlous state of the Aussie dollar and the high cost of OS postage that will probably have to sate my GAS for a while and I might have to actually go out and take some pictures.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Paul, I saw you, but you were busy talking about those lenses you picked up. I meant to have a chat, but got caught up elsewhere.

Mick.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I was impressed with how busy it actually was (at 8.40am)... but yes, the tables were sparse, and there was just less interesting stuff fundamentally - so much so, I (gulp) didn't buy anything at all!!! (Am I unwell?!?). I did spend a while staring at those 1/2 plate cameras... and a Linhof aerial camera with no lens or back... and a Super Graphic...

Marc

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Damn, you know i was washing the dishes on sunday when i realised that mid October was when the second market was on and that i forgot to check. Alas i spent the day driving out to the boonies.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great round-up Mick, thanks! Sight any old graded paper? You said you were interested in a 6x12 back, how much should I pay for one of those, say a Horseman?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin