Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,914   Posts: 1,521,731   Online: 1087

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Filters, film and some paper cheap

I have just visited the Vanbar Carlton shop in Melbourne, it was just a look see visit, as the day was perfect, with a clear blue sky and a great temperature for motorcycling.

Having gone for a very early morning ride I ventured into the Carlton shop, the first thing I saw was a big display of glass filters in groups of ring size for sale. 49mm, 52mm, 58mm, 62mm and 72mm.

Most of the filters are Arrow, some are Hoya and a select few are badged Hama, which are manufactured in Japan. Here is the best part, I payed $5.20 for any 52mm filter whether it was a yellow, red, UV, polarising, 81A etcetera.

The same went for the 72mm filters I bought, except they cost $7.20 each. I managed to pick up a fog, diffusion, soft spot and polariser. Things I would never purchase at their normal price.

There was another bin with some outdated film, interesting stuff there. Some 135 E6 duplicating film in 30m rolls, $11.00 each. Sure it's outdated, colours won't be great, but I'm sure you can have oodles of fun for that money.

There were three 100 sheet boxes of 4x5 Maco or Rollei (not sure) lith film, about $106.00 each which is ½ price.

Possibly something that could be relevant to many here in Oz were the multitude of 30m rolls of Ilford Xp2 in 135 format. I don't remember what their cost was, but you can bet it will be at least ½ the normal price.

Those of you who cannot physically walk into the Vanbar shop, could telephone them and ask for what you wish for, they will look up their computer and say yes or no, then they will walk over to the display table select for you, then package and post.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I forgot to mention that there is also a big box of Lucky SHD 100 ASA film in 135 format 36 frame rolls, selling for $2.20 a roll, 17 rolls later and a completely full tankbag, I left.

I've shot one roll for test purposes an hour ago, with a walk around the local park, off to develop it right after this posting

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the tip. I'll call the Sydney store & ask if they're having a sale. Did you notice any infra red filters in the bargain bins?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks for the info, Mick. How did the Lucky go?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I suspect that that Rollei Classic paper that they are plugging at present may join the discount list soon. I do worry sometimes about Vanbar: while I'm very dependent on them (there's bugger all in Sydney now for APUG types) I'm aways hoping that they make the right moves to ensure their viability.

The educational market appears to be a mainstay for them, but it takes only a curriculum change or an administrator of schools with digital blinkers to change that.

Sometimes, though (sotto voce) I do envy Melbourne folk: better music, photogenic town, possibly safer for motorcyclists (once upon a time I was one in Sydney, now I would rather die at my own hands, thank you) and more extensive Vanbar as well.

Regards - Ross

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmmm, I'm still waiting for a reply to the last email I sent them.
    Only 4 weeks...
    I think I need to visit the shop in Camperdown next week.
    Cheers
    Noons (Nuno Souto)
    Gallery here

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Goldie, I didn't notice any, but as I wasn't looking for one as I already have a couple.

Kevin, interesting to say the least. I went for a walk with a 28mm lens and an orange 056 Nikon filter attached. About halfway through, the batteries in the camera started to die. I switched things around a bit and continued on using the manual shutter release (Nikon F3).

I have never seen this film before, so I took a punt from the calculations printed inside the box, which is D76 full strength for 5 minutes at 20ºC.

I rated the film at 80ASA, developed it for 9 minutes D76 1+1 rotary processing, weak negatives. I had minimal shadow detail in the negatives but I believe I under developed by about ½ to ¾ of a stop as well.

I'll run another roll through on a push bike ride tomorrow and develop it in the evening. I'll rate it at 50 ASA this time and develop with extra time as above.

It is a very thin base and the emulsion appears to be thin as well, but that really cannot be taken for granted, it just looks that way, especially compared to FP4+, HP5+ and Neopan 400 135 format film.

I don't know for sure, but I have a feeling the emulsion is fragile. This is just a gut feeling, I was careful putting the film into the neg holder, no scratches but I think it will scratch slightly easier than the others already mentioned.

Nice grain structure, once I sort out the 1+1 development, I might have a go with 1+3 for a slightly different effect.

Ross, Melbourne is also a diminishing market for certain wet photography products, I think we are all in the same boat with that one. Yeah, well Sydney is pretty good for some things, but we do have better coffee, possibly some of the best coffee shops in the country.

As for motorcycling, we are starting to get as crowded as sin city these days and it is getting harder to stay away from the four wheel tin things, however we can park on the footpath down here

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well today I shot another roll of the Lucky SHD100 film, this time though I used my Minoltina P, which is a little 60's rangefinder equipped with a 38mm f2.8 lens, quite sharp and the meter works.

I rated the film at 50 ASA, developed the film for 10'30" in D76 1+1 at 21.5ºC (rotary).

Beautiful negatives, full range with very good shadow and highlight detail.

But that, is as good as it gets! It appears to be soft in a manner I cannot explain, except to say that it looks slightly like Kodak High Speed Infrared.

By that I mean the highlights appear to have a mild halo type of appearance and try as I may, I cannot get a super sharp print, even though the grain is sharply focused, once again a look like Kodak High Speed Infrared.

Quite an interesting film, something different, could be a very good film to do high key subjects.

Whatever, the Ilford, Fuji and Kodak B&W films, have nothing to fear from this film I would suggest.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Could it be halation?
    Cheers
    Noons (Nuno Souto)
    Gallery here

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Noons, I believe so, but I could be wrong. If I get a chance, I'll scan a section of a print before Christmas.

Mick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin