Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,201   Online: 782

Shooter
    Multi Format

Vanbar & Silver Nitrate etc.

Danny, manager of Vanbar Sydney, tells me yesterday that Mario, raw chemical maven, has indeed left.

However the manager in Melbourne has added these responsibilities to his portfolio.

I'm told that delivery may be a little slow, but as Mario was a casual anyway, this wouldn't be a significant issue to regulars.

Silver nitrate is still on the product database at the shop counter, and is probably still available.

Danny (whose show at the Museum of Sydney one should see) said that the products deleted were the Vanbar branded chemistry kits, which any keen lab rat should be able to compile themselves.

If you are sufficiently desperate (and extremely rich) you could try Test Tube Factory Harris St Sydney for analytical grade chemistry.

Regards - Ross

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross Chambers View Post
    Silver nitrate is still on the product database at the shop counter, and is probably still available.
    There was 10g sitting on the shelf last time I was there...
    Matt Gorringe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Ross, I'll slot that in my memory bank. Have you personally used Test Tube Factory?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blokeman View Post
    Thanks Ross, I'll slot that in my memory bank. Have you personally used Test Tube Factory?
    Not for chemistry, the prices are very high, it's almost as if they want to discourage orders.

They are good for labware, stocking measures that are lab accurate, which helps when making up some developers. I found myself making working strength Pyrocat HD and the 25mm pipettes and pumps were good for measuring 10 and 15 mil quantities, far easier than pouring into a graduated cylinder.

The downside (if you are clumsy, as I am sometimes) is that the labware is destined to always break into smithereens if you drop it.

They have glass workers on tap, too, if you want that glass rod for spreading alt chemistry on water colour paper.

Unfortunately only Sydneysiders have the opportunity to enjoy the experience of face to face contact with the rather eccentric owners, and the ever changing cast of (for some reason always nubile and female) backpackers who scurry about pulling stock off the shelves as your order is filled. They tried to sell me an animated dummy of James Brown with an "I Feel Good" sound track. And they may have been the last business in Sydney to stop smoking on the premises (them, not me)

Regards - Ross

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross Chambers View Post
    Not for chemistry, the prices are very high, it's almost as if they want to discourage orders.

They are good for labware, stocking measures that are lab accurate, which helps when making up some developers. I found myself making working strength Pyrocat HD and the 25mm pipettes and pumps were good for measuring 10 and 15 mil quantities, far easier than pouring into a graduated cylinder.

The downside (if you are clumsy, as I am sometimes) is that the labware is destined to always break into smithereens if you drop it.

They have glass workers on tap, too, if you want that glass rod for spreading alt chemistry on water colour paper.

Unfortunately only Sydneysiders have the opportunity to enjoy the experience of face to face contact with the rather eccentric owners, and the ever changing cast of (for some reason always nubile and female) backpackers who scurry about pulling stock off the shelves as your order is filled. They tried to sell me an animated dummy of James Brown with an "I Feel Good" sound track. And they may have been the last business in Sydney to stop smoking on the premises (them, not me)

Regards - Ross
    Another source for chemistry is MC Scientific. They are much more expensive than either PhotoChem/Vanbar or The 'Formulary but not nearly as expensive as the Test Tube Factory.http://www.mcscientific.com.au/ They seem to be able to source anything, for a price. Again they're mainly analytical grade which is what makes them expensive. I do know that they can source silver nitrate and gold chloride in fairly small quantities if you really need some.

I've only been to the Test Tube Factory once for some beakers and measuring cylinders but recognise your description with some joy Ross. I didn't know any better and took my sleeping three year old in my arms :o; hilarious trying to avoid breaking anything while they cleared a space just big enough for us to sit down. I didn't breath deeply because I was surrounded by precariously placed delicate glassware. I was there for about 20 minutes and got to watch someone making a very elaborate piece of titration or fractioning equipment. Lovely people but sort of like being in a Dr Who episode, along with beautiful sidekicks as you say.
    Matt Gorringe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wow, all this sounds like it'd be entertaining enough to warrant a drive up the Hume!! I love those eccentric places, a disappearing phenomena. I might contact them to ask for their Amidol price as I'm a bit disappointed with the Chinese version I recently came by.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin