Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,526   Posts: 1,572,361   Online: 1050

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Don't forget the Camberwell Photography Market this Sunday!!

I only remembered it ought to be on soon just now!!

http://www.apcs.asn.au/calendar.html

Might see some Melbourne APUG-ers there!

Marc!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks for the heads up, Marc. I'll certainly try to get there this time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll be there, I usually get there around 0740hrs, the queue isn't too long at that time.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Reporting back, I got there around 9.45 and hung around for about half an hour, and then went back for another 10 minutes or so around 10.45 (after giving the three-year-old a baby cino and a muffin). There were a lot of people there. Most of the stuff there seemed to be old 35mm cameras. There were a couple of very worn-out looking MF cameras, and a lot of old photography books, most very reasonably priced. I kept an eye open for Mick and Marc but didn't spot them, but I think I spotted Paul. It was quite heartening to see so many young people happily snagging old developing tanks, reels and cameras. It was quite amazing how many people were there. You pretty much had to push in to see what was on offer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kevin, I left around 0930 as I had to go and look at a 4x5 camera, which I didn't purchase.

I did though pick up another calumet CC400 4x5 monorail for $100.00. I really purchased it for spare parts as I need a spring and a couple of other bits & bobs to really bring my other one up to scratch.

However after getting it home and thoroughly checking it out, I think it's better by a fair margin than my existing one. Maybe I'll transpose the bits & bobs to this camera

This year you really can see the effect of the global money thing. I walked in to a fairly empty or should that be stall less hall, the amount of vendors really has reduced by about ¼, from the last march event. Although as the first hour ticked away and the late stall starters finally were set up, things looked a bit better.

I bumped into a few people I know and one that I don't know, although he recognised me from my Avatar. Maybe he'll join us in this thread?

This time round, there were more than a handful of 4x5 cameras and at least one 8x10 (DeVere). This is in contrast to previous markets where LF cameras were almost non existent.

I'm not too sure what to make of this, but there was one lass selling off a very nice 4x5 Sinar kit. From what she was selling (including other stuff) it appears she is either going out of the game, or heading towards an electronic system.

It could be that professional and/or semi professional photographers may finally be ditching their LF cameras, which for the most part are 4x5 monorails. This could be a way to get some money to live for awhile, or it could mean they are moving on to wherever.

Yes there was plenty of 35mm stuff, quite a few students, or about to be students, were shopping for cameras and associated equipment for their photography courses

Mick.

Ps:- Baby Cino, how in the Dickens do you get a small one to sleep after feeding them a caffeine fix?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I got there about 9:45 too, after getting a bit confused by the blocked street to the parking lot. Most of my money went to useful stuff, filters and so on. My best buy was a 210 Rodagon enlarging lens for $35. I don't have a great need for it but as I have dabbled with panoramics it may prove useful in the future. I saw the 8x10 Devere and Photo Resource still had their Calumet C1 jigsaw puzzle but I don't need any more ironmongery. I did get a few collectible bits - a Pentax KM box and manuals for $3 and one of the larger Pentax 110 boxed sets (less camera) for $40. I have been using the 110 with reloaded 16mm Tri-X so I have been buying the accessories when I see them cheap.

There were a lot fewer stalls than you would have seen just two years ago, but doesn't seem to have declined any further from the last one. It is still worth my while going there, but like the last few times I went home with half of my money unspent.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmmm, well I got there early... after breaking down on the way with smoke pouring out from under my dashboard! Disconnected the battery while waiting for a friend to pick me up... later an RACV callout revealing it to be some short circuiting interior light wires, best not to be too lax when driving a Kombi... I've seen too many burnt out vans over the years. Back to the Photo Market... well, up at 6.30 to try to get there as it opened - and I reckon I should've stayed in bed!!! I'd say the stall had shrunk by about 30% since last year. Didn't get any paper which is why I went... got some good quality DDSlides and my friend got 7 perfect quality for just $60!! I think I got scammed also... I bought an older MPP 5x4 off a guy who assured me the rangefinder was coupled as he had had it since new... got home & scraped off the dust to reveal different serial numbers on the cam and lens. If only I knew where the numbers were before I bought it. Its not often I get taken but at $200 I think I made a very rash purchase. I only wanted it for travel & so I could use the rangefinder to focus through! Came with the huge flash unit as well as instruction manual & 3 barely used original MPP DDSlides. Another annoying find was that the tripod screw-hole is too big... is it possible to get an adaptor for this?
    All in all ....... I should've stayed in bed!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh & Mick, I looked around for you but couldn't see you anywhere!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maaaaaaate, what time did you get there?

I left around 0930hrs!

Regarding the tripod thread and hole size, there are generally two sizes, I have adapters for stepping down and I think somewhere I have an adapter for stepping up.

Various tripods and camera tripod socket combinations can be hazardous, so I normally carry a couple of little adapters on trips where I have two tripods with different bolt heads on top.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mick, yeah I got there and joined the queue at about 8am maybe few minutes past. I did have a good look around for you. By 9am there were many more people there than at 8am so I could've easily missed seeing you. Do you have a tripod adapter to sell? I wanted to see you about changing some stamps I have... I'll come directly to your store now I guess. Not sure when but soon. Maybe you could PM me the address etc? Do you have anything to do with those embossing stamp things as well? I have one but need to change the stamp to a smaller design.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin