Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,921   Posts: 1,556,588   Online: 1206

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    This time I'll be there...no more excuses. With bag and monopod (tripods are a no-no in the CBD...remember)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wotalegend View Post
    This time I'll be there...no more excuses. With bag and monopod (tripods are a no-no in the CBD...remember)
    Who says tripods are a no-no in the CBD, I use one in the CBD all the time, how else are can you do time exposures?
    It is said that we remember the important things, if true, why photograph? I forget, so I photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbau View Post
    Who says tripods are a no-no in the CBD, I use one in the CBD all the time, how else are can you do time exposures?
    I believe that it's a Melbourne City Council by-law. Can't quote the by-law: I just know that I read it somewhere some time ago. Apparently you can use one if you get a permit and/or have tripod insurance. (Also see earlier in this thread.) We don't want to add "Grey Ghosts" to Connex inspectors, do we?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Saturday 23rd - I'm out, work from 8am until 22:00 ... free the 23rd tho in case it turns into an all night party

Have fun everyone
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Do you live in Melbourne, Nick? Sorry you and Shane both can't join us.

But it's looking like there'll be a fair few of us there. Thanks for cancelling your tennis, Wyno. Some things are more important than tennis.

Please keep posting to advise if you can or can't make it and as we get closer, we'll make a list of attendees.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sorry, but I will have to miss this get together and expedition about the city. I will endeavour the make the next one.
    Cheers - Andy C
    ---------------------

16mm Cine, 35mm, 120, 5x4 & 7x5.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Oh! count me in to those Otways expeditions!!!1!

As for Saturday 23rd at 11:00. I will be there if I can, at the steps in Fed. square looking for tripods!
    My daughter is getting married the following weekend, so a higher authority may dictate my plans

Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    I have firmed completely to Saturday. Sunday I reserve for bushwalking in the Great Otway National Park. I was going to keep this quiet until, but... Well, I go walking a group surveying and flagging routes to remote waterfalls (these are truly, to die for, in terms of photography). Some of these routes are well known to me. Later, I am planning on running photography workshops to a small number of these 'falls to introduce people to the beauty of rainforest, streams, creeks, glens and glooms.
    <snip>....

Geelong & Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Forward notice for Melbourne APUG members

OTWAY PHOTOGRAPHY EXCURSTIONS — EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST SOUGHT

I am thinking of / planning a small-group photography expedition this winter (June, July, August) to a few remote Great Otway National Park waterfalls. One or two of these 'falls require a second leader (from the Otway Ranges Walking Track Association) with detailed flagged-route knowledge. The walks are short (about 3 to 4km one way), some along established vehicle tracks, then off-track and into the "hideous defile" (one person's description after an attack of leeches) of rainforest.

The thought came to me of a central rendezvous point (i.e. Geelong); depending on numbers, it would be necessary to car-pool and travel in-convoy; if people are interested and dedicated enough, we could camp in the old timer-sawmilling township of Forrest and use that as a 'staging post' for trips outward. If a group is really enthusiastic, we can camp at a clearing on the margins of the rainforest (the atmosphere — as well as the chill morning air — is breathtaking). None of the waterfalls are flowing at the moment and several tracks are congested/overgrown (track clearance crews only go out once, less commonly, twice a month to clear up); we'd need at least a few hundred mm of rain to "make a scene". With the rain comes the quagmires of the tracks (delightfully gluggy) but the reward is waterfalls that very few people know about, much less seen.

One of the most beautiful waterfalls is Upper Sabine Falls, but getting there is quite a Boy's Own Adventure, with a bum skid on the final near-vertical approach!
    The most adventurous in terms of just getting to it is Wild Dog Falls: 5km of virgin rainforest to push and shove through with more twists in the track than a corkscrew! For any and all being visited in winter, shorter daylight hours dictate early starts and early exists (rainforest is dark by about 3pm), so places like Wild Dog Falls are best left to early Spring (guaranteed beaut flow then, too).

Perhaps this idea (and I think it is a good one!) could be discussed at the APUG meet 'n greet. I do not know what the level of interest is for rainforest/waterfall photography but I suspect those with a serious interest in photography here in APUG will be fired up; the only "photographers" (read: snapshooters) I know of who go down there on track-flagging and/or clearance sorties are digital-freaks more intent on "snapshots" than works of art! A prerequisite is a willingness to enjoy the journey, not just the destination: these places are very cold, very wet and the terrain often challenging. It's not for armchair enthusiasts looking for a "short walk in the bush!".
    Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 05-13-2009 at 08:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The Otway thing sounds grand! If it's any month but July, I'm up for it - hopefully I'll have a lighter camera by then also...

Marc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    OTWAY PHOTOGRAPHY EXCURSTIONS — EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST SOUGHT

Expression of interest given.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin