Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,964   Posts: 1,523,309   Online: 1226

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrie B. View Post
    Better have the meeting indoors ( on ground level too )

http://www.tyguillory.com/20x24%20Mammoth%20Page.htm

Doh—! Don't show that to 'Tachihara Mike' (Wyno); that's all we need, a redefining of the phrase 'big is better'!
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I'm back in Melbourne end July for work, off to Sydney beginning August - again... keen !
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I think I'd have to get you to carry that one for me Gary.
    Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dang it being so far away.

I'd be very keen to come for a look see. I have a friend who bought a linhof tech with a 6x9 roll film back so I have played with that just a little to gain some familiarity with (limited) movements but I am more intersted in learning about the cut sheet loading, handling, processing, metering etc which is of course quite different to the 35mm & 120 I am using.

I'd also be very curious to see what the absolute basic kit I'd need to get into perhaps 4x5 would be and what it might cost. As previously noted, reading and theory is one thing but running your fingers over real things while being able to ask questions face to face is altogether different.

I'll keep watching this thread for dates etc and who knows ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Mathison View Post

I'd be very keen to come for a look see. I have a friend who bought a linhof tech with a 6x9 roll film back so I have played with that just a little to gain some familiarity with (limited) movements but I am more intersted in learning about the cut sheet loading, handling, processing, metering etc which is of course quite different to the 35mm & 120 I am using.

I'd also be very curious to see what the absolute basic kit I'd need to get into perhaps 4x5 would be and what it might cost. As previously noted, reading and theory is one thing but running your fingers over real things while being able to ask questions face to face is altogether different.

You're right, Glenn. Even just watching these LF guys during previous Melbourne gatherings helped me immensely in coming to grips with the process as an LF novice.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

If you want a quick start into 5x4, the quickest and cheapest is via a Graphlex Crown Graphic - although being a press camera they have only limited movements.
    You can pick up a 5x4 field or view camera on eBay for less than $500 if you are very patient. An older, very good lens like a Schneider Xenar can be had for less than $200 and a couple of double-darks at $10 each and you're away.

Or if you get to talk to Shane Booth, he can tell you how to make your own camera - he's made several.

EDIT:
    Check out this For Sale on APUG:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/...x5-camera.html

It would be a bit of a pain to carry in the field but would give one an insight into LF sufficient to decide whether to pursue it or not.
    Last edited by OldBikerPete; 06-09-2010 at 11:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [...].

This being my guiding philosophy also.

Better still is a thought that came to me over dinner last night: an active lesson e.g. get on the spot guidance with an LF user and expose say one sheet in his/her camera, taking notes of what you are doing and the exposure. You pay the processing. Rather than just 'show and tell', teach the masses! First would be walking you through set up and composition, explaining alignment/movements, critical focusing (under the hood where it's cosy and delightfully detached from the world outside), metering (e.g. filter factors, incident/reflected/spot/multispot+average), final checks of the settings, cocking then firing, replacing darkslide etc. Just reading all that gives you (and me, too) an idea that it's not a spontaneous doddle like 35mm and you do need to keep mental track of what you are doing. It's something I again find tantalising (I was an LF user myself from 1994 to 1997, with a Horseman 45FA, then embraced 35mm and printing from reversal to Ilfochrome, with no going back).
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow Mick, really sorry I missed this. I have heaps to show and lots to tell..so maybe next time?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yellow Cam APUG.jpg   TinyView.jpg  
    Last edited by razzledog; 07-03-2010 at 07:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    D, yes perhaps next time, it is being mentioned by another person. If it does happen someone will add a link on this thread to the new one.

Yellow?? Looks nice, but would show the dirt up.

Mick.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin