Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,573   Posts: 1,545,697   Online: 787

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Any second-hand photo shops in Melbourne?

I'm planning a short trip to Melbourne very soon, based around Mornington.

I'd like to know if there are any shops with a section dealing in second-hand photographic gear worth a visit.

Can anyone enlighten me, please?

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used to buy all my goodies from The Camera Exchange, I think they are in Lonsdale street. Last time I was there (a couple of years ago) I came out with a Tele Rollei, haven't been game to go back since!
    Tony

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Depends what you are after really, however these are pretty reasonable, dependent upon exactly what they have when you walk in the door.

Camera Lane in Little Bourke Street on the corner of Hardware Lane, gem of a place, plus the owner does know his stuff.

The Camera Exchange in Lonsdale street is interesting in that they literally could have traded 10, 20, or more cameras and their associated gear from somewhere, or have little. That said there is a lot of stuff there, just stuff and more stuff and more stuff.

Michael's on the corner of Elizabeth and Lonsdale streets has a window display. This place is always the top dollar price wise, of all camera shops in Melbourne. Whatever you do in Melbourne, walk into Michael's and walk up to the top floor to their museum, it is one of the finest museums of cameras in Australia, if not the best. It's free too!

Camera Action on the corner of Elizabeth and Little Bourke street, has a few things in their side window. They are mainly an electronic camera store now, which is fair enough as it brings the money in.

As you are down in Mornington way, if you are travelling on the train, get off at Bentleigh. Alongside the railway line is a small shop called Photographic Warehouse, this is a real camera shop for anyone into film. Packed with enlargers and all sorts of weird and funny items plus some very serious cameras of whatever vintage. Not cheap, but if you want it, it's possibly here. I'm not sure of the address, but it is literally a stones throw from the Bentleigh railway station.

Mick.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    As you are down in Mornington way, if you are travelling on the train, get off at Bentleigh. Alongside the railway line is a small shop called Photographic Warehouse, this is a real camera shop for anyone into film. Packed with enlargers and all sorts of weird and funny items plus some very serious cameras of whatever vintage. Not cheap, but if you want it, it's possibly here. I'm not sure of the address, but it is literally a stones throw from the Bentleigh railway station.

5 Nicholson St Bentleigh.....Dan's a great supporter of analogue photography. A real Pentax and Minolta enthusiast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dear Tony, Mick and Wayne,

Thank you all for your prompt and helpful suggestions. If time and opportunity permits, I will certainly look up at least some if not all of them !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When are you coming down anyway?

Will you have wheels?

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan View Post
    When are you coming down anyway?

Will you have wheels?

Mick.
    Next Wednesday, for a week and yes (driving down from Adelaide) .

Geelong & Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan View Post
    [...]Camera Lane in Little Bourke Street on the corner of Hardware Lane, gem of a place, plus the owner does know his stuff [...]

And Alan also knows his pricey cars, and the feline accessories that go with them! Seriously, I have known Alan for more than 25 years (likely more) and can confidently second Mick's recommendation for his knowledge. The Camera Exchange beats "Mikhails" (Michaels on the corrner) hands down if you want to be kept enthused and interested. Some of my stuff was bought from there.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Melbourne visit

Well folks,

An update of my Melbourne experience may be in order.

First, thanks to all who made suggestions about places to visit regarding second-hand gear.

As it turned out, I got lost on the way into Melbourne (nearly went to Geelong) and, again, at about 4.30 am on the way out: trying to avoid Geelong, I ended up in darkest Footscray, then the SE (?) Produce Market,and -finally- on the M1 and eventually the M8. Signage in Melbourne could be just a little more informative .

After passing by the inner city, which appears to have grown enormously during even the last 7 or 8 years since I was there last, I only had the inclination to check out Dan Cadariu's establishment Photographic Warehouse Pty Ltd at Bentleigh (5 Nicholson St), which had the upfront merit of being on the right side of town for me and relatively close. (Even so, it took about an hour to get there from Mornington, one way: about 40 kms.)

Dan's place is certainly worth a visit: not only does Dan have a wide and interesting range of analogue equipment in stock but also he himself is very knowledgeable and an interesting conversationalist on a wide range of topics, particularly photographic ones.

As I had only a limited budget (don't we all?) for indulging myself, I limited my purchases to only two items: a "new" case for my Olympus OM2 and a pre-loved Takumar M42 Super-Multi-Coated f/4 17mm Fisheye lens (a relatively expensive item).

I certainly enjoyed my visit to Dan's and would certainly plan to go there again on my next trip to Melbourne.

I am in the process of finishing off my first film past this lens (using an Asahi Pentax SV slr).

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    [I] don't know why anyone would want to avoid Geelong. Just because there's nowhere to buy good used photo gear doesn't mean anything.
    LOL
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin