Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,912   Posts: 1,521,602   Online: 884

Shooter
    Multi Format

Enlargers galore!

I'm not sure whether Vanbar will appreciate my kibitzing in their business, but here goes:

They have aquired a large number of enlargers from the State Library of NSW, and they are at the Camperdown shop awaiting packing and freight to the spoilt Melbournians. I saw Dursts, DeVeres and I think a Besseler; mostly with Ilford 500 heads and ancilliaries. There is at least one 8x10 and 35, also 4x5s.

I didn't get as far as checking lenses.

As each machine seemed to be a package, I would imagine the bits and pieces purchaser might not be in the race at this point.

Surely the idea of shipping these to Melbourne and back again to one of our superior Sydney photographers is not to be contemplated? Wave the waratah NS Welshmen (and women)!

Regards - Ross

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting, I was in the North Melbourne warehouse/shop on Friday.

One of the staff there is going to move his darkroom stuff, which includes a motorised Beseler 4x5 with a colour head. He is going to email me with the details so I can forward it onto people who are after an enlarger.

In the North Melbourne warehouse/shop, there were (I didn't look this time) down the back about 10 or so enlargers, ranging from 35mm through to one or two 4x5 enlargers.

I'm not really sure where they intend to move this lot, but even though I haven't seen the Sydney premises, I would venture the space they have in the North Melbourne place leaves both that and the Carlton shop for dead.

Interesting information Ross, were any of the 8x10's a DeVere by any chance? Even a 5x7 would do nicely, thank you very much.

There does seem to be another slew of darkroom machinery in the form of processors gathering dust at the North Melbourne shop. Perhaps these are trade-ins for electronic state of the art (this week) equipment?

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 8x10 was a Durst, with I'm guessing, a Durst head (I'm not familiar with these) and filter drawers.

A 5x7 would be nice indeed, but I'd have to build a new room onto the house.

Vanbar Sydney is not very large, most of the consignment is in the loading dock.

Your last paragraph is correct--I didn't like to spread too much info, that's up to Vanbar.

As the State Library sells high priced silver prints off negs such as Dupain's "The Sunbather" I guess that they are outsourcing these now, or--heaven forbid--making digital prints.

Regards - Ross

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I would be interested in the durst 8 x10 if it had a color head, if not I have a full set of condensers to suit the L184. I'm quite busy at work at present so I would really appreciate any news.
    Thanks
    Pat

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pat, if I were you, I would pick up the telephone pronto!

You never know.

Mick.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    where are these enlargers now? still on sale?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Last time I went to the Sydney branch, where they had been in the dock for loading, most or all had been packed and sent to Vanbar Melbourne. Their Melbourne operation is head office and I guess that the pricing and assessment would happen there. As we all know the damn things can be bulky to transport, that's why I sent a heads up to Sydney-ites in particular. Toowomba transport boggles my mind for some of the really large format ones :-)

Regards - Ross

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was in Vanbar two Saturdays ago and made a general enquiry regarding the enlargers from this place.

The basics as I understood it, were that the enlargers are being checked over, whom by though, could be an interesting question, then they would be at the North Melbourne warehouse store.

So if anyone out there is interested then start ringing, I don't think these will ever be on the web or in the Photo Trader. Walking around the Nth Melbourne warehouse and checking out the multitude of processors both film and paper and heavens knows what other large stuff from commercial labs is lurking there, is great, but generally their pricing isn't great from an amateur point of view.

Mick.

Shooter
    35mm
    [QUOTE=Ross Chambers;807408]

As the State Library sells high priced silver prints off negs such as Dupain's "The Sunbather" I guess that they are outsourcing these now, or--heaven forbid--making digital prints.

I was speaking with a friend at the State Library store the other week who told me they are now selling prints from a Giclee printer (excellent quality) now. From an asset mangement POV, this would make more sense than sending original neg's to and fro from the bureau, esp. given the size of their collection.

Cheers,
    Brett

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I guess the advantage of this is that the negative receives less handling, or maybe none after scanning. I did buy a Cecil Bostock 8x10 digital print from SLNSW a while ago, and it is quite good. I hope that their print prices reflect the fact that digital printing must be cheaper, while acknowledging that the rights of the photographer and his or her intellectual rights are part of that price.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin