Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,211   Posts: 1,531,993   Online: 1142

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brisbane groups

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Brisbane groups

It seems that all of the photography/camera groups and seminars that Ive found in Brisbane are digital related. Does anybody know of any people/groups/clubs that focus on film and darkroom technique? I'm a pretty huge darkroom newbie and would love to know some veterans or just general folks nearby.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Krzys, I am a people (not club or group) on the Gold Coast quite close to you. Cheers Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Howdy Krzys - I am based in Brisbane. I don't know of any groups or clubs here that are predominantly analogue, but I must admit I haven't looked very hard. Judging by the number of shops that sell pro film in Brisbane, we may be the only two buying it!
    Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I would much appreciate if any locals added me at canadian _ 081 @ hotmail . com for a further chat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Krzys, that might make three, ... no, four, or ... I am based in sunny Brisvagas and have other friends I regularly catch up with who use film.

I am lucky because I work in the city and am able to find myself walking past Ted's in Adelaide St on a regular (how often before it is stalking?) basis. They carry some very useful stock on their shelves (and a fridge full of film, including bulk 35mm rolls), the staff are always helpful and they will order in anything that they can get for you if you ask ... I also have had a long-term relationship with Photocontinental at Mt Gravatt, but this is a bit of a hike for me now so don't get there nearly as often as I would like ...

I don't have any contacts in groups who meet regularly, but I am aware that not so long ago there was a community darkroom and active group in Inala, however I am not sure if they still meet ... I have also recently become addicted to APUG's Postcard Exchange and find that this is a great way to get examples of smashing work and forces me to get out there and produce work myself ...

boyd

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Staff are complete morons at Ted's. I've never found one helpful or actually knowledgeable on the darkroom products they sell. They are all just pixel pushing desperate salesmen.

Shooter
    35mm
    Golly Krzys, I can honestly say that I have never had that experience. In fact, staff with whom I have dealt always are more than willing to chase product and discuss alternatives etc ... indeed, I have even noticed that not all of the sales staff are men and several of them actively shoot film ... I do usually try not to go there to engage them in long conversations at lunch time because they do need to make money by selling cameras, and if I am not mistaken their biggest market is digital - I don't hold that against them and it is a legitimate way to create images ... outside these times they have always been more than willing to talk about my negatives and give me useful advise about exposure, development, technique, printing etc ... and no, I have no financial interest in the store ...

My you, your comments in no way change the fact that they do still carry a reasonable stock of film, paper and chemicals (what does that make the staff at other stores that do not???) and I in my experience always order in all manner of stuff for a (regular) customer who asks politely ... and I would go further to say that I am grateful that they do carry film gear and take the time to track down stuff for me that they don't usually stock on their shelves, which is far more than I can say than most other stores ...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'm just bitter because I asked for Id-11 developer and they sold me a box of replenisher which I didn't notice until a week later (promptly stored it away without thinking).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm just north of Brisbane but still do a lot of B&W home processing. Just last weekend I fired up the new 6x9 enlarger I bought off ebay for a song. Awesome!

As for clubs, I am in a local club but it's almost exclusively di***al. Shame that.

I'm also going on outings in Brisbane via another forum where most are non-analogue shooters. It's funny to scare them with the mirror slap of my Mamiya 645E :-)

Be bold and set up a B&W film-only shooters outing. Then really go to town and have a film developers day! I'll be there!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by iandavid View Post
    Howdy Krzys - I am based in Brisbane. I don't know of any groups or clubs here that are predominantly analogue, but I must admit I haven't looked very hard. Judging by the number of shops that sell pro film in Brisbane, we may be the only two buying it!
    Ian
    Unfortunately for local sellers, I buy my film in bulk when I go overseas (US) for work. Saves about 70% on local costs when I buy a *slab* (50 rolls of 35mm or 20 rolls of 120) at a time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin