Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,859   Online: 953

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Airtight storage bottles

Does anybody know where to pickup some bottles that are satisfactory for containing photochemistry? Not necessarily brand name scientific equipment, but a cheap alternative as I am on a budget. I am in Brisbane so something in QLD would be preferable but I know how it goes with supplies in Australia.

I bought some glass bottles with stoppers at the local department store and they don't seem to be airtight.

I don't need them to be amber as they are stored in total darkness.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    What volume are you talking about? There is a place here in Melbourne which sells brown bottles from about 10ml up to about 100 or 200 ml. I know you said they don't have to be amber. There would be similar shops in Brisvegas.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well right now I'm looking for something to store mixed up powder developers - so something larger. I will look into smaller bottles for when I'm using concentrated mixes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I use the small glass ones for decanting deveoper into so that it lasts longer. The concertina-type plastic ones are good for larger volumes.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    You can buy dark brown glass bottles from your pharmacist. Use glass marbles to take up space in the liquid to displace excess air preventing oxidation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Premixed 1.75 liter Margarita bottles are nice, got my replenished Xtol in one of these. Recycled 5 liter wine in a box containers, the stock Xtol is in one of these. I use 1 liter clear plastic bottles for the Stop, Fix, and Hypo Clearing Agent.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kryzs, I will shortly be placing an order with a place in Brisbane (Cospak) for 500ml amber glass bottles with wadded caps. They have a minimum order quantity of between 25 and 48, depending upon the style, so I will probably have plenty to share. I think they will work out at around $2-3 each - I am still waiting for a precise quote on various models.
    Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thank you, please contact me when they arrive. I assume 1-3 weeks?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not sure. If they have them in their warehouse, I may have them late this week... I will let you know.
    Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Krzys View Post
    Does anybody know where to pickup some bottles that are satisfactory for containing photochemistry?
    Easy. Any restaurant that sells wine. Wine bottles are excellent for storing photo chemistry and usually free.

Use 'em with the VacuVin stoppers. Just about any wine shop should carry them. More than air tight -- storage with a vacuum over the chemistry works even better. Kodak says XTOL stock is good for six months; I've used it at 12 months with excellent results. It really works.
    Bruce Watson
    AchromaticArts.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin