Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,748   Posts: 1,515,693   Online: 933

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Don't worry, I had some luggage with me in the plane.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome from Sydney. There's a little island to your south which is also worth a visit!

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    hello from western Melbourne (Altona), Joachim.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Joachim, and welcome from Qld. Judging by APUG activity, I think there are only 2 or 3 people in Brisbane who use film anymore, but we are bravely flying the flag nevertheless!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by iandavid View Post
    Hi Joachim, and welcome from Qld. Judging by APUG activity, I think there are only 2 or 3 people in Brisbane who use film anymore, but we are bravely flying the flag nevertheless!

What!? Disgusting. What are they using if not film? Oh, don't tell me.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Thanks! Tony, I know, that little island is high on my list. Wayne, we are almost neighbours, Newport here. Ian, judging from the feedback here, it seems Victoria compares favourably. Good to see this.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't want to hijack Joachim's thread, but have too bad a case of "shy" to be starting a thread simply to say "Hi, I'm new here also" (although not to Australia at all). I live down on the Mornington Peninsula and was wondering if anyone else was from around these parts. If so, please, please, please... where are you getting your black and white film? I've just bought my first ever slr camera. The intention originally was to buy a film slr (which I could afford) in order to learn how to use one in hopes of one day buying one of those (gasp, the horror) plastic, wizz bang, new fangled thingies (which I most certainly can NOT afford). Now that I've put a couple of rolls through it, thoughts of digital have been completely eradicated from my mind and all I want do to is learn every possible thing I can about shooting, processing and (one day) printing my own photos - no one's hand at the helm but mine. Aside from the major budget restrictions, my major problem is lack of access to film and chemicals. Everywhere I've looked, it's far cheaper to buy overseas for traditional black and white film, but some of the P&H costs are simply ludicrous! (I racked up a whole eleven dollar order on one site in the U.S. and the p&h was seventy five dollars!)

Um, I think I just went entirely off topic there. I was supposed to be limiting myself to "Hello". Apologies, I've been up for a few days reading around here and the seven in the morning blathers have kicked in. To avoid taking up any more of Joachim's welcome page, could anyone please boot me out of here and into the right thread for these questions?

Many thanks to anyone in advance for any time and advice they can give...
    ... and welcome to Australia, Joachim!

Molli

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Welcome Joachim from the Blue Mountains NSW
    Wazza

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Molli View Post
    I racked up a whole eleven dollar order on one site in the U.S. and the p&h was seventy five dollars!)
    Molli
    Thats why we all have large sections of the fridge/freezer sectioned off for film - half of it brand new - the other half near or past expiry cos we've moved up or down format in terms of 'current fascination'

Buy in bulk and share expenses with a colleague and the film price per roll/sheet becomes much less.
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Molli View Post
    I don't want to hijack Joachim's thread, but have too bad a case of "shy" to be starting a thread simply to say "Hi, I'm new here also" (although not to Australia at all). I live down on the Mornington Peninsula and was wondering if anyone else was from around these parts. If so, please, please, please... where are you getting your black and white film?
    ............<snip>.......
    ... and welcome to Australia, Joachim!

Molli
    I don't use B&W film any more. I buy my 5x4 Color film in $500 lots from Badger graphics in the US - they are the only ones I've found who seem to use an inexpensive postal service. Buy in bulk and store in the fridge or freezer until you need it. It will stil be good decades past its use-by date.
    You should buy your 35mm film in 100 foot rolls. That will make up about 40 off 36exposure rolls of film for your SLR. If bulk-loading in this way it is easier if you have a daylight bulk-loader. I have one I haven't used for years if you are willing to come to Keilor to get it you can have it, gratis.
    You will be able to buy empty, used, film cassettes for a very low price from places like Vanbar in the city - or someone on this forum might sell you some. Ilford are the best to reload as they disassemble and reassemble easily. I gave all mine away - I think. I will check and let you know if I have any left. If I have, you can have them, gratis.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin