Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,725   Posts: 1,515,038   Online: 1098

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Red Sky Photographer's Delight?

Did any of you Sydneysiders capture yesterday's amazing red sky on film? It could have looked good even in mono with the reduced visibility giving some amazing effects.

Please tell me at least one of you ventured outside and captured those sights.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A blood-red dust storm in mono!?
    I predict heaps of Sydneyside lensmen would have been milking the spectacle grandly on Vaudeville Velvia and will eagerly await the outcome!
    Dunno about the after-affect on cameras though...
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    A blood-red dust storm in mono!?
    I predict heaps of Sydneyside lensmen would have been milking the spectacle grandly on Vaudeville Velvia and will eagerly await the outcome!
    Dunno about the after-affect on cameras though...
    Well, you would not be capturing the "redness" of it, obviously, but the atmospheric effects created by the reduced visibility could make for some interesting effects in black and white. That's what I meant.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I was considering going to shoot around Brisbane with B&W film during the thick of it but decided it would be better to take advantage of the strong windows and fly a kite on my roof. If anyone asks or saw...I was just just adding some color to the sky.

I couldn't help but think of Trent Parke's photography when I considered shooting B&W in these conditions.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I did take photos of the Melbourne dust storm in 83. Some of the photos make the buildings look like doll houses. Almost like tilting the back of a LF camera. I would have loved to have been in Sudney for this one though.
    Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Any danger of any Sydneysiders chiming in on this thread?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm wondering too, Kevin, where the northerners are...
    The Sydney Morning Herald has an interestingly varied online gallery, with one particularly striking lemon-tinted image of the Opera House pinnacles very faintly visible. That's a winner for me, but I could also imagine it in monochrome as having potentially a greater effect.

Mike (#5 post): '83's storm was memorable for me (as a prelude to the catastrophe of Ash Wednesday) because, being a relatively young tike, I was knocked down by a tram in Elizabeth Street that afternoon (ran in front of it) when visibility was poor: broken arm, broken ankle and concussion, but I survived to recall it as quite a moving experience.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I shoot for the SMH but didn't make anything interesting of the storm due to forces beyond my control. Colleague kate Geraghty had some funny ones of locals at Eveleigh St with dust masks on, apart from the usual bridge/op house etc......

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Count me as overly careful, but I'd hesitate to take any camera for which I cared out into that dust saturated atmosphere (Leave that to the Fairfax and News Limited folk who can draw a replacement from the store)

Apart from that it was a pretty mild event in the Blue Mountains, I wonder if hitting the atmospherics of the coast made it so much more pronounced?

Early Sydney city photographic landscapes as displayed in the Maritime Museum etc. always make me long (in all the wrong ways) for the days of city-wide smoke stacks, steam ships on the harbour and vehicle exhaust fumes: very flattering to the picture.

The way the environment is going (the road across the Rimutakas, 30 km from Wellington NZ is blocked by snow today) I may have my chance to duplicate them soon.

Regards - Ross

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    some photos here :
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/plastic...7622310168099/

would like to see some film shots though. would love to be the one to make them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin