Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,659   Posts: 1,481,506   Online: 1156

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Film equipment retailers, CBD Sydney?

I have to go to Sydney next week for a work Training course. I will have pretty much all Monday to myself, so I thought I would do some shopping.

Is there any retailers (preferably second hand) in the CBD, that I could or should check out? I am mainly after Minolta gear, but anything worth looking at would be fine!

Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A few stores:
    http://www.fotoriesel.com.au/shop/ (best second hand film gear store, good supply of film – good city location)
    http://www.vanbar.com.au/ (best film, chemical supply but also a bit out of the way)
    http://www.mainlinephoto.com.au/index.htm (store is a bit hard to find)

I copied this from a previous post. fotoreisel is the only CBD store but lots of used gear to look at and is worth a visit. They will usually negotiate on used film gear especially if it has a generous layer of shop dust on it! Paxtons on George St used to have a few overpriced bits and pieces but I haven't been there lately. Also a small store in Elizabeth St near the corner of Bathurst but the name escapes me. If I find it I'll let you know.

found it Whilton Camera Service, 251 Elizabeth St. I've bought two very nice nikon lens from them over the years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tony has pretty much summed it up. For second hand cameras in the CBD your choices are Foro Riesel & Whilton's. Foto Riesel is best. If you want film the best shop is Ted's on Pitt St.
    Vanbar has a good range but would be a longish bus ride, likewise for Mainline you'd have to take a bus, or train/walk. I think Mainline put most of their second hand gear on their website anyway so easy to look at there.
    There's also a dodgy looking second hand pawnbroker camera shop behind Kings Cross railway station called Grace's. They've been there forever and it has an interesting retro look but I've heard their gear is way overpriced. would be interested to hear from anyone who has dealt with them recently.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks. I will check out Foto Riesel at least. Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Foto Reisel? Mainline? (dunno about Grace's)
    Overpriced? Sure are.

KEH Atlanta, Georgia, as always.

Regards - Ross

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Foto Reisel? Mainline? (dunno about Grace's)
    Overpriced? Sure are.

KEH Atlanta, Georgia, as always.

Regards - Ross

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I didn't realise Graces was still there. Haven't seen them advertise anywhere for ages and I probably had my last look about 10 years ago. It had that overpriced pawnshop atmosphere that made me a bit uncomfortable. If you have a particular piece of gear in mind it's good to print out the comparative price from somewhere like KEH to use as a bit of leverage. e.g. wow, that's $200 more than KEH, I guess I'll just buy it from them unless you want to clear the shelf space! With the Aussie dollar on the way up it helps even more. I have paid about half the marked price for some pretty good enlarging lens in foto reisel. If it's not on consignment they seem keen to move the analog gear.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll second Riesel and Whilton's for 2nd hand gear. Riesel would be my first pick: more variety, better prices. Get hold of the yellow cover phto advertising magazine (can't remember the name), they advertise their range there.

Grace's was still there when I visited last year, haven't been back recently. Was way over-priced back then but had some interesting older gear. Didn't haggle with the bloke - that might be an option?

Vanbar is more for chemicals and new gear, wasn't aware they had old stuff.

Mainline has it all on the website, check it there. Sometimes they put items on ebay, worth a check just in case.

And that's about it, I guess?
    Cheers
    Noons (Nuno Souto)
    Gallery here

Shooter
    Large Format
    there's also European Camera Store, in Drummoyne. Out of the CBD I realise but also have full second hand inventory on the web.

Grace's was to be avoided in the past, in my opinion, on ethical grounds...

Jon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sharperstill View Post
    Grace's was to be avoided in the past, in my opinion, on ethical grounds...

Jon
    Do tell. What's ethics go to do with it? High prices? Lousy gear?

I've never been there, I do remember passing a shop in Victoria Street with an Arriflex in the window, I guess that was it.

I have no opinions, just interested.

Regards - Ross

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin