Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,951   Posts: 1,585,997   Online: 793

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
    Where's the "We Can Do It" camp?
    Watching the Football
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good one.

Ok, now time for me to go find those interested in (promoting) the arts. Ciao.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Dont fall into a trap of sticking everything into a convenient box - TV - or one of expectation for that matter...

- but ok, fair enough, I'll consider myself excluded for now. Sheesh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nick, don't get me wrong, I love your sense of humour. You're sig had my DH and I in fits of laughter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good one.

Ok, now time for me to go find those interested in (promoting) the arts. Ciao.
    Nicole, I'm not familiar with Aussie media, but I'll repeat my earlier point about complimenting any positive coverage. If you can get your message from the "complainers" box to the "friends of ABC" pile, you might have more chance of being heard. If you see something you like, send a message of thanks. Give them a pat on the back. (and then ask for more... )

Cheers, mate.
    (hm... message #700 for me. Took long enough... I've been slowing down. hehe)
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffle View Post
    Rather than complaining about what is not there, a kind comment congratulating any coverage at all on arts-poor media might encourage broadcasters to increase the time they commit to arts programming. (for example... "I really liked your feature on the art of fence building, let's have more of this kind of programming." )
    Funny, but I think this type of approach is a fantastic idea. For instance, say that you're watching a really good show on how photography was invented, or perhaps how the pyramids were built, it could be a good idea to BOTH send compliments to the programmer/broadcaster as well as a larger form of media that does not broadcast it. Just to show both those that are broadcasting it that you appreciate it as well as encourage those that don't program arts and science to at least see that somebody else is doing it and that people like it.

I fully agree with Nicole that 'chicken or beef' just doesn't raise independently and critically thinking generations.
    I'm not sure how much I can do about it on my end, but I have offered to teach workshops at my son's school without success, even though I offered to pay for all the materials. That was a hard blow for me.
    So I have gone smaller scale, and I currently have two photography students who are now more awake to their surroundings, seeing the world in a different way, through the lens and camera and ultimately the pictures. I successfully yanked them away from the TV screen and its perceived appeal.
    Two is more than zero, I guess. I wish I had time for more.

Good on ya, Nicole! Keep doing your thing. I'm proud of you.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Nick, don't get me wrong, I love your sense of humour. You're sig had my DH and I in fits of laughter.
    Heh heh - you might say I'm inconsonant :rolleyes:

Shooter
    35mm
    Where's the "We Can Do It" camp?
    I guess my reply is a bit bleak, but OTO I've worked in television my entire career. I make a point not to watch it as a result. The fact is that television, at least here in the US, is a vast wasteland, a veritable intellectual vacuum, and that is a reflection of the people who use it. It has more in common with crack than the arts and sciences. While TV should and could be used as a nearly divine gift for education and enlightenment, at its best it falls far short, because it is first and foremost an opiate for the masses. Changing it is like saying you are going to change the bread and circuses at the colosseum. In my mind the effort would be more powerful at a grass roots level, in schools and community. In order to change what TV delivers you have to change what people want, and as long as those people are the minority TV will continue to deliver the drivel that holds the masses attention long enough to show an advert. Television programming is the filler between the adverts. Most people never get this. TV is about TV commercials and nothing else.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not sure that we are really so ill served on this side of Australia; the Sydney Morning Herald and the Age in Melbourne do have daily arts pages, their press photographers often achieve results above the merely observational, ABC Radio National has a daily books and writers show and a fair whack on Sundays on all arts (even if the ABC Arts mob can be a little clubby sometimes). It IS difficult to ascertain content of arts broadcasts from published programmes, usually they supply only a few words, you have to guess what they might be all about.
    For example this weekend's ABC TV and SBS TV offerings:

"Guerilla Art": Several lines, but it's about graffiti as art and trendy.
    "Deconstructing John Kelly" (John who?)
    "First Tuesday Book Club" (featuring what books?)
    "Sunday Arts" (?)
    "Toscanini" (Conducts? Life of? Influence on US music?)
    "Saving Jazz" (now which jazz is that? Old boys in straw hats playing Dixie? Or Cecil Taylor? It's a broad church)
    "A Technicolour Dream" (?)

The area which is most deficient to my mind is music writing and broadcast. The SM Herald publishes at most 12 column inches a week on serious music and pages and pages on pop commercial music singers, including the important details of their tattoos.

I'm interested to read reviews of performances which I have attended, but mostly they are ignored by the Herald and the ABC, even when they contain major new pieces by Australian Composers.

The ABC Classical FM programme is stuck in the 19th Century, unless you hang in until 11 pm once a week for 21st century music. The ABC magazine, "Limelight" is obsessed with the Limburg Schlager Music exponent Andre Rieu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schlager) and--for some reason--travel promotions.

However maybe we're better off in arts media terms than the US, although the NPR material that makes its way down here is mostly very good.

Very personally I'd like to see some sort of "late bloomer" promotion (I'm in the "late" contingent, still trying to bloom). Our state government makes a fuss about the annual "Seniors' Week" when they put on concerts with Gracie Fields vintage music. It would be great to see art works or any creative input from (ahem) mature folk who have achieved high levels of ability rather than the programmed sit on your bum and watch material.

New and emerging young artists have their place, but can't be the only talent around, surely?

(The eminent Australian composer Peter Sculthorpe recently celebrated his 80th birthday)

Regards - Ross

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Australian ABC TV has cut its "Sunday Arts" programme. Last programme this Sunday.
    http://www.abc.net.au/tv/sundayarts/about/default.htm

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin