Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,879   Posts: 1,520,372   Online: 1080

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: selenium toner

Shooter
    Medium Format

selenium toner

hi all,

Just visited Vanbar today (Melbourne), apparently they are no longer stocking Selenium Toner this is despite what the website says.

Does anyone know anywhere else in Melbourne (or elsewhere in Australia) that would stock it (preferable Fotospeed however any brand is ok, I guess beggars can't be choosers)

I exhausted the current batch I had and the prints requiring toning are gradually building up...:rolleyes:

Tim K

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Ring Les Porter
    02 49 5858 40 tell him Pat sent you. He had stock recently and his service is great.
    Pat
    What grain............................................. ...............
    Oh sorry, I forgot you don't shoot Large Format
    Large format Pat.

http://www.largeformatpat.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thanks Shane & Pat for the suggestions,

I'm also looking into mixing up my own... however I'm going to have the same problem (obtaining the chemicals)...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Most sources recommend against mixing up your own because selenium powder is very fine and very toxic....and selenium toner is easy and cheap to get.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by timk View Post
    thanks Shane & Pat for the suggestions,

I'm also looking into mixing up my own... however I'm going to have the same problem (obtaining the chemicals)...
    Don't!... for the reasons Mark mentioned. Also, consider direct sulfide toning instead. Sulfide offer more archival protection than selenium and is just as easy to apply.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    hmmm, i'm aware of the precautions necessary for mixing up selenium toner and I can get hold of appropriate safety equipment (ie. mask, goggles, apron, gloves etc), so I don't really see the issue as long as I do it in an appropriate environment with the correct safety equipment.

I have some Viradon New, but the smell puts me off using it a bit. Also it tends to reduce contrast rather than increase contrast and I haven't really gotten the hang of using it yet. It looks a bit like Sepia in my opinion. I've always used selenium both for colour shift and archival protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    Tim I bought a bottle of Viradon today. Hopefully you can give me some pointers as doing a Google has not provided much. And the box & leaflet are useless like most AGFA packaging.

Just did a search around APUG seems the more diluted mix is darker & gives more toning than a strong mix. Some of the posts were talking of 1:100 mix. So for a liter 100ml Viradon & 1000ml water or 1ml Viradon & 1000ml water ?

Google is my friend 1:100 is 10ml & 1 litre of water.
    Last edited by w9cae; 02-18-2010 at 05:31 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    hey Scott, I can lend you the tim rudman book that talks about viradon new and other polysulphite toners.

Viradon new is great, but it's been a while since I've used it. You have to use a stop bath and be careful avoid getting drops of water on the print when moving it from the toner to the stopbath (this happened to me and I got a streak across the print where a water droplet had run).

You vary the amount of time in the toner, and you can also vary the dilution.

suggest you do your toning outside, you'll understand what I mean when you use it for the first time.

Shooter
    35mm
    Cheers Tim ok you need to use STOP well back to Vanbar as I havn't bought any been using a water wash instead of STOP for prints & film.

"suggest you do your toning outside" I noticed that & my darkroom is the bathroom by day. That would surely put an end to that real quick. I do have neighbor thats a pain so I will set up shop close to there side of the fence.
    Last edited by w9cae; 02-18-2010 at 06:18 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin