Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,022   Online: 1004

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by largeformat pat View Post
    Ross,
    Check the grade of chemicals quoted, It may lab grade or better. I'm trying to think of the people in Newcastle. They quoted me $180.00 for 25 Kg's.
    Pat
    Technical grade. Analytical grade was more expensive. I don't expect the salesperson to be a PhD in chemistry, but telling her that it was for photographic use led to this grade.

Bacto will ask what your intended use is, too. Sodium thiosulphate being relatively benign meant that my intended use was satisfactory for the sale to proceed. She said that there were rigorous conditions for some of the more volatile products.

I can't see the connection between price and nefarious uses, fertiliser--as used by American terrorists--is pretty cheap.

Regards - Ross

Shooter
    Medium Format
    technical grade should be the cheapest, followed by GPR (general purpose) and analy (analytical grade)

I tried emailing bacto with a list of things I was looking at but never had a reply.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by timk View Post

I tried emailing bacto with a list of things I was looking at but never had a reply.
    They were pretty good by phone, I didn't try e-mail.

Regards - Ross

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just received an email from Peter Baranow - who is the boss at Vanbar - they ARE still suppling raw chemicals:

"You know you’re the third or fourth person who has told me we are getting out of raw chem. Unfortunately I was never told about this, and considering I am the person who makes these decisions you would have thought that I would know.

The only chem. That we are not selling any more are those that arte physically not available . Things like Glycin and Phenidone where we cannot source these any more.
    But otherwise its all business as usual. In fact I just yesterday authorizes a large order for several lots of bulk chem."
    A camera is only a black box with a hole in it....

my blog...some film, some digital http://andrewk1965.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting.

I do hope this is the case as there are some chemicals I have been purchasing from Vanbar in reasonably small amounts, I've tried to figure out how I could go through 25kg bags of certain stuff.

One staff member at Nth. Melbourne poked his head outside to watch as I loaded a 25kg bag and a box of other chemicals onto the back of my motorcycle and in my panniers.

I'll have to re-consider my strategy.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well this is the text of the e-mail I posted to Vanbar yesterday:

Dear Mr. Baranow,

May I add myself to the list of those who believed that you were no longer supplying raw chemistry.

My basis for this understanding was the response from the Camperdown branch when I went in to order some sodium thiosulphate: they said that there were to be no more raw chemicals available, Mario had left and no-one else was willing to package these materials.

May I suggest that you make the position clear asap, as many will be sourcing from other suppliers as I have needed to.

There is a thread, started by me I'm afraid but based on the Vanbar Camperdown response, on the APUG internet forum, which could be a opportune place to clarify the situation.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum214/...-longer-3.html

Many thanks for the faith that you have shown in traditional photographic technology, I guess that we become ever more niche.

Ross Chambers
    Blue Mountains
    New South Wales
    maelduin@ozemail.com.au

=============

I'm buggered if I know what's going on. no reply as yet, I wish I knew. If this is indeed a niche market (chemistry) of an even more niche market (analogue photography) and is not one to be prudently pursued in commercial terms by our friends (no sarcasm intended, I've always found them to be valuable allies) at Vanbar I can understand.

I'd just like to know so as to figure out the next best approach, and to not be guilty of spreading rumours.

Regards - Ross

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post
    I just received an email from Peter Baranow - who is the boss at Vanbar - they ARE still suppling raw chemicals:

"You know you’re the third or fourth person who has told me we are getting out of raw chem. Unfortunately I was never told about this, and considering I am the person who makes these decisions you would have thought that I would know.

The only chem. That we are not selling any more are those that arte physically not available . Things like Glycin and Phenidone where we cannot source these any more.
    But otherwise its all business as usual. In fact I just yesterday authorizes a large order for several lots of bulk chem."
    OK I tried once more at Vanbar Camperdown (Mr Baranow doesn't answer MY e-mails) for Sodium Thiosulphate, a common and safe chemical, but hard to find at prices apart from those for a much higher grade than required:

"It's on the newly designed website -- admittedly with a picture of a jar of another chemical altogether)"

"It's out of stock"

"Can I back-order it?"

"Hmm, hmm. Let's put an order in and see what happens. No-one wants to package chemicals in Melbourne"

Make me the fifth, sixth and so on and on person to say that raw chemicals are extremely difficult to extract from Vanbar.

My fallback Bacto supplied. The price--including $33 P&P--meant that I paid just under $100 per kilo.

As ever I would appreciate any absolutely specific suggestions and contact details from those who claim access to dear old plain "Hypo" at sane prices.

If only small quantities of this chemical were needed, and overseas freight costs were not a factor, I'd gladly abandon Vanbar.

In frustration - Ross

Shooter
    35mm
    Maybe I should head down to Vanbar & ask them for a job packaging photographic chemicals ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by w9cae View Post
    Maybe I should head down to Vanbar & ask them for a job packaging photographic chemicals ?
    Scott, I think you've had enough chemicals....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by w9cae View Post
    I must admit that the guy who did the chemical mixing for the motion picture lab of the New Zealand National Film Unit when I worked there in film editing did end up in Porirua (a polite local verbal evasion for the Wellington psychiatric hospital)

He always blamed the chemicals for his bipolar disorder; which climaxed with his running down one of the main streets of Wellington (Courtenay Place, for those who know Wellie) with a toy gun, shouting "It's only a movie!"

A piece of Kiwi irony found him, after his discharge from Porirua, gardening in the grounds of the Governor General's official residence at the Basin Reserve. Dunno what happened to the gun.

Be warned, those exotic chemicals can do strange things to folk, especially when you can't find the damn things.

Regards - Ross

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin