Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,682   Posts: 1,482,218   Online: 1041

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You can make thiosulphate from sulphur and sodium sulphite, both are which are cheap, sulphur is ~$7/2.5kg from K-Mart last I checked and bought some.

Sulphite is cheap from any pool supply shop, you can probably use substitute metabisulphite which you can get at the home brew section in any supermarket - or make sulphite from metabisulphite and use that.

Thiosulphate is also sold in pool chemical shops cheaply, and there are online pool shops in Aus you can order it from as well if you dont want to leave your house.

In any case Vanbar lists a few new chemicals they didn't have before - potassium bromide (thank god, previously I had someone mail me some from UK from silverprint..)

Vanbar also sell Kodak E-6 Fixer (minilab) stuff for about $15, which is 3 3.3L bottles iirc, which makes 20L E-6 fixer, if you just need it for fixer.
    Last edited by Athiril; 05-01-2010 at 03:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks, as a loyal 19th century devotee I have only a dial up connection and youtube doesn't work too well.

I have an order in with Vanbar for 5 kg. The Sydney branch accepted it, although it was out of stock on their internal catalogue. I can get by for a few months with my $80/kg high class supply.

I'd be interested to hear from all those 25kg for a buck respondents?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    $80/kg?! Jesus.

Go to a pool shop and ask for chlorine remover, look on the bottle for the ingredient, you should find 98%+ sodium thiosulphate from one of the shops.

Or get it online from a pool shop, the purity is more than enough for any photographic purpose.

Do you have a time machine? Didn't think dialup existed anymore..

http://www.onlinepoolshop.com.au/index.php has it for $125/5kg

http://www.directpoolsupplies.com.au/prod2165.htm $22/1kg

http://www.omegachem.com.au/pool.php - 10kg, 25kg bulk packs
    Last edited by Athiril; 05-02-2010 at 04:26 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hello APUG'ers.

Lachiec here, from Vanbar. I see this thread is quite old and there has been a response from Mr. Baranow at some point.
    I would just like to further clarify that we are indeed still shipping RAW chemistry. All the RAW chem is on our online catalog.

I will advise that we do not mix / decant chem every day; this can mean a few days wait before orders are processed and shipped.

I have personally checked the internal stock system and have removed any products that we can no longer get. This may take a day to reflect online; but I only removed about 3 items. Toner kits mainly.

This brings me to my next point.
    The confusion about this may stem from when we discontinued the "Photochem" branded chemistry KITS, things like Toners and Reversal kits etc. We no longer make this product. (Photochem == Vanbar).

In closing :

Yes we still sell RAW chemistry; order it and it will show up.

-LachieC
    lachiec -at- vanbar.com.au
    Last edited by LachieC; 02-16-2011 at 04:58 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: speeeling

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lachiec, welcome to APUG.

I tried to order Boric Acid last year but was informed both at North Melbourne and Carlton that you had stopped stocking raw chemicals, and once out of stock of any item, it wouldn't be re-stocked.

There are a few other chemicals I wish to procure, but basically I stopped using Vanbar and started purchasing from overseas.

Perhaps you should inform your staff of this matter, maybe even put a counter sign, or even a notice on the Carlton notice board.

I was in Carlton last Saturday morning, I would have ordered a nice raw chemical order for pick up in a week or two, as I used to do, if I had known you were still selling raw chemicals.

Mick.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Fascinating Mick, thanks for letting me know.

We're up here in the offices / admin area at Carlton. And none of us have any idea where this information has come from.

I'll whip up another memo about it!

-Lachie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi Lachie, welcome to APUG. I think I know you. We were discussing the Kings Of Leon at the North Melbourne store.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Yes Kevin! That was me!

I think I'll listen to Youth and Young Manhood a little later today

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG Lachie! I am sure I know you also - were you the fellow who sold me that fancy lowepro bag for my Fuji 6x8 rangefinder?

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Lachie, can you give an update on supplies of Rodinal / Adonal?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin