Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,583   Posts: 1,545,778   Online: 1029

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Vanbar and raw chemistry - No Longer

I don't know about selenium toner, I have a little KRST on the shelf.

Vanbar used to make their own brand.

More inconveniently for me is that they have killed their raw chemistry, because Mario left and no-one else wants to pack and/or mix chemicals.

It's not so bad for those expensive little bottles of stuff you use in small quantities, you can get them from the US without expensive postage, but a PITA for such bulk requirements as Sodium Thiosulphate.

Any tips re Oz sources welcome (I do have a potential Sydney source for hypo.)

Regards - Ross

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I still get raw chemical components from Vanbar.

I also get minilab chemicals.

On tuesday I'm getting a whole massive amount of Flexicolor and Ektacolor Kodak Chemicals too for shipping cost since it was going to be tossed and offered to me.

AFAIK I tried to get thiosulphate from Vanbar and they dont sell it any longer but have it listed still, I'll inqurie again, they have useful stuff like potassium hydroxide for making potassium salts, carbonate, benzotriazole, hydroquinone, thiocyanate.

They also sell Kodak E6 minilab 20L kits of Fixer, for like $15, if you want fixer look or that, or get universal fixer.

Hypo is just metabisulphite or sulphite in water (usually the latter, sometimes both).

You can get Sodium and Potassium Metabisulphite really cheap at Vanbar, and many super markets stock sodium metabisulphite (sold as steriliser) in the home brew section, sodium sulphite I found at a pool shop that sells pool chemicals. If I can find that in a pool shop in Byron along with other useful chems, I'm sure you can down there in the city

If you cant get thiosulphate, and want it for something other than a fixer (so cheap thiosulphate fixer is no go) then you can heat sodium sulphite + sulphur in water to make it. It's probably as cheap as buying it, you can get Sulphur on ebay for about $20/kg, and $15/1.5kg for sulphite from a pool shop.

It should be rather a simple process actually, I'm pretty sure its just 1 mol + 1 mol = 1 mol of sodium thiosulphate.

32.065g of sulfur + 126.043g of sodium sulphite dissolved in water and heated should equal 158.108g of sodium thiosulphate, unless I'm missing something.

Sulfur wont dissolve, but should react in the heated presence of sulphite dissolved to form thiosulphate afaik.
    Last edited by Athiril; 02-28-2010 at 11:30 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've also heard that this is true. They are selling what they have in stock but won't be ordering anything new. So if you're lucky they might still have certain chemicals.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I buy 25kg bags of Sodium Thiosuphate from a chemical supplier, They do have in stock, however. A week later and I then pick up. I also buy from photo form in the states as well as Bostick and Sullivan. Non hazardous they will post here no problems. I currently sourcing silver nitrate.
    Pat
    What grain............................................. ...............
    Oh sorry, I forgot you don't shoot Large Format
    Large format Pat.

http://www.largeformatpat.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I just got some Sodium Metaborate from the states. No problems
    Large format Pat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes I've obtained some kits from Photographers' Formulary to try particular processes (pyrocat, New Cyanotype etc.).

I used--when Vanbar still supplied--to then source the chemicals from them at a cheaper price.

The large amounts of sodium thiosulphate are another matter, I'm sure the freight would be outrageous for even 5 kg.

At present I'm trying to balance two hard to find ingredients for salt printing: Strathmore Series 500 paper (the best that I have found for this process) and the aforesaid sodium thiosulphate. I'm not sure whether I'll end up a pile of one or the other but not the complete kit required.

For Sydney folk there's a company in Cromer that claims on its website to have sodium thiosulphate.

Regards - Ross

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

silver nitrate supply

"I currently sourcing silver nitrate... "

Pat, I have a source in Townsville of all places that is happy to ship Silver Nitrate. Let me know if you need the details.
    Craig Griffiths

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Craig please PM me the details. Ross. Sodium Thio can be accessed. I have a supplier who sells in 25 kg bags. enough for 33 litres about $200 PM I will get you details.
    Pat
    Large format Pat.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I stuffed up, 25 kg is enough for 100 litres. Had 750 grams in my head for some reason.
    Pat
    Large format Pat.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I just bought out Vanbar's last stock of citric acid at $11 per kilo after being quoted $26/500gm from another supplier. It's a shame they're not going to be retaining some powdered chem.

Jon

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin