Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,010   Posts: 1,524,614   Online: 1037

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 711121314151617
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bingo, Worker!
    Thanks for that, it neded to be said.
    All these "economies" by not using film are nothing but bogus claptrap!
    Cheers
    Noons (Nuno Souto)
    Gallery here

Shooter
    35mm
    There is this thread on AusPhotography showing a modern projector & some more information on the subject.

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...ad.php?t=60148

Seems the prints sent to a theater are sent back & the celluloid is wiped clean & a new movie printed on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    So, if the empty suits that run the movie studios could wave a magic wand and make all film disappear tomorrow, they wouldn't save enough money to hire The Governator to do another movie.
    In the world of business, a penny saved is important and will be done. Movies are very much a business.

I have freinds that work in that industry, and believe me, it is almost always shot digital today. Sure, there are some scenes for "effect" still shot in film. However the transformation of everything shot and put into editing is one big digital stream these days. That's reality, and it is here to stay.

This is not to say that it doesn't get finally exposed to a reel and sent to a theater, but the dailys shown in Negs and hand splicing (editing) in the back room is gone. Any real film shot is digitized for digital editing and possible cgi.

Like everything else in that world, it's just business and it makes sence.

Shooting film "just beceause" is the most stupid thing to suggest, IMO. I am not going to waste my money on products just beceause someone else doesn't use enough to keep in manufactured. I am not of the camp that the world must shoot in analog "just beceause". I shoot film beceause I *want and enjoy the process*, peroid. I can't see me leaving any time soon and I don't have a grudge for anyone shooting digital.

Kodak is not going to stop making film. Yes the choices may be fewer, but life will go on. Even if they did, those "other" companies will pick up the slack. Every time I go click someone will sell me something to go click with. That's business.

To answer the thread: How many times have they announced that disco was dead? It never left, but has been called other things........

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrred View Post
    I have freinds that work in that industry, and believe me, it is almost always shot digital today. Sure, there are some scenes for "effect" still shot in film. However the transformation of everything shot and put into editing is one big digital stream these days. That's reality, and it is here to stay.
    This is inaccurate. The scenes are initially recorded to film and then high-speed scanned for editing. Post-editing, are then printed out to interpositives, internegs, yadda yadda to the theaters.

That isn't "shot digital" one bit.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    This is inaccurate. The scenes are initially recorded to film and then high-speed scanned for editing. Post-editing, are then printed out to interpositives, internegs, yadda yadda to the theaters.

That isn't "shot digital" one bit.

I guess we are more modern up here.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrred View Post
    I guess we are more modern up here.
    Has nothing to do with that. Has to do with being accurate in what you state. Ironically the general order of what you said was fairly accurate - but the fact is the footage itself is still recorded to film, just that the during the editing stage digital copies are being manipulated.

If you understand the character and response of film you'll understand why it's important to make the initial exposure to an analog silver medium.

Besides, the process has been long established and is quite efficient.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I did not include film used in production and post production. I don't know how much is used. Maybe somebody else could tell us that. Let's just guess.

A 10:1 shooting ratio on-set and a 1:10 film use ratio for post production. That comes out to what? 20:1? So, for a 2 hour feature, 40 hours of film are used to make it, exclusive of the release prints? That's only another 20 prints' worth. $40,000. Maybe $50,000.
    A drop in the bucket.

Again... I'm only guessing on this. I don't know for sure. I'm not in film production. Only exhibition.

Digital movies are shipped on hard drives. They still have to be shipped and managed. Somebody has to copy the data onto them. Bad ones have to be weeded out. New ones have to be bought. Hard drives for cinema use are not the cheapo $99.00 Circuit City Specials we buy. A good enterprise class hard drive can cost from $200 to $400 or more. It takes two hard drives to hold a feature movie. It is easy to imagine that it would cost $500 to $1,000 to distribute a release copy of a Hollywood feature movie.

w9cae has it right. Old movie prints are recycled. They are made on polyester-based stock. From what I read, it's the same stuff they make plastic soda bottles out of. The old prints that come back to the warehouses are sorted out, good from the bad. Some of the good ones are sent to storage for later use. The bad, scratched, damaged and/or unneeded ones are chopped up into little bits and melted down to make new movies.

You really aren't saving THAT much money by switching to digital. But... you CAN encrypt the movies on hard disks. Without the encryption key, nobody will be able to play the movie, even if they have the hard drives in-hand. With all-digital movie distribution, they, the studio heads, will be able to type a command into their computers and revoke permission for any individual theater to play that movie any time they want. They can even specify what times the movies can or can not play.

That is what the studios are after. Control!

And, as far as I know, all-digital production for Hollywood feature movies is a long way away, too.
    Most movies are shot on film with 24-p video shot side by side. The video files are edited on computer then an edit decision list is sent to the cutting room. Film cutters assemble the answer print according to the EDL. Analog scenes for digital effects / CGI are scanned in, edited then sent to film recorders for final output.

Again, I want to make clear that I know the exhibition (theater) end of the business a lot better than I know the production (studio) end. I know what I know about production because I read about it. I might read incorrect information or read correct information poorly. I know what I know about exhibition because I have done the job for several years.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There have been 82 Academy Awards ceremonies since they began. During that time, 80 (of 82?) of the movies that received a "Best Picture" award were originally shot on Kodak motion picture film.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 711121314151617

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin