Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,634   Online: 1119

Page 1 of 17 123456711 ... LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format

This guy thinks film is dead

Hi guys,
    I found this article in the latest edition of the Geelong Business News. The author thinks that because he doesn't use it, and has no interest in it, that film is dead. It's attitudes like this this that will kill off film, it's nearly happened in Geelong already. It's basically the diehards and the users of Holga cameras that are keeping film alive here.
    Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails scan0001.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Maybe write a rebuttal to the article. Great exposure (pardon the pun) for both you and film.

Shooter
    35mm
    ... I went through many rolls of black and white, 35m slide then color film,...
    Well, at least he is consistent. If he sees moving from BW to color film as unidirectional evolution/progress, then moving on to the latest DSLR is the right move for him.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I still love (and use) my old 33mm camera ;-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    "allowing greater flexibility and creative composition, this technology makes it easy to compose and shoot images on the 3.0-inch Clear View Wide LCD screen, without ever having to bring the camera to your eye"

I understand this is a prosumer camera that's being marketed to advanced consumer photographers, but this made me laugh a bit How many professionals actually use the live view on 35mm cameras? I've never been fond of it. If I want a bigger viewfinder, i'll use a bigger camera (which, fortunately will have a bigger negative or image sensor, depending on which technology I'm shooting at the time).

These next two quotes makes me want to beat the shit out of him

"I can now officially declare that 35mm film is dead"

"... even though you love your old 35mm camera, it's time to retire it -- permanently"

35mm film is dead? But what about Ektar being released in 2008? It sold so well that it got released in 120 and sheets. I thought there was still a glimmer og hope for the format. PErhaps Kodak is keeping us in denial about our fate. Thanks for showing me the light. I'll put my 35mm cameras on ebay and offer my film as freebies. Maybe someone will be able to use it as bookends or something.

Seriously, though, who the hell are you to declare anything dead? I declare digital photography dead. People, retire your digital cameras and revive your cameras of olde!

If I didnt find this humerous, I'd probably be mad. Basically he's telling us to replace our 35mm cameras with a prosumer digital. Shit, if I'm going to go digital, I'm going to get one of the top of the line Canon or Nikon cameras. Maybe even a digital Mamiya or Hasselblad. that camera he's raving about is fine for snapshots and videos of the kids on vacation. Actually, I think it's a bit overkill for that. The Xti I used to have was fine for such use (ok it didnt have video. Just work out yor shutter finger and press the shutter really fast ).
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyno View Post
    Hi guys,
    I found this article in the latest edition of the Geelong Business News. The author thinks that because he doesn't use it, and has no interest in it, that film is dead. It's attitudes like this this that will kill off film, it's nearly happened in Geelong already. It's basically the diehards and the users of Holga cameras that are keeping film alive here.
    Mike
    I guess the Geelong Business News has a readership of about 15 people...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sounds very much like a sponsored article (not like that kind of thing happens in this country....)

And I am probably flaming the fires here a bit, but seriously, the reactions here? The article is aimed at high end consumers. They are more then likely not ever going to ever print a photo, so why the heck would they want to use film.

Nothing to see here, move on......

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    If all you need is live view to compose your picture, why is the guy in the picture got it up to his eye? Write a rebuttal and see if they print it; probably not since the advertisers make no money on not selling you the latest thing and the last thing any magazine wants is to upset advertisers.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, CDs have been around for over 20 years, yet there are still people have an interest in buying music on vinyl. Some vinyl fans are kids under 20 are rediscovering the quality if analog music. It will be the same for photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A guy I know from an online forum in Australia who writes articles which are nationally syndicated had an article prior to last Christmas which explicitly stated that Kodak doesn't make film anymore.

Page 1 of 17 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin