Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,517   Posts: 1,572,188   Online: 1107

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Andrew:

If you were in Canada, I would buy from you .

Is there demand for Kodak Portra 140/400 NC in 220 size in Australia/New Zealand? I think that there still is demand here in North America.
    I think most people will buy 120 size rolls purely because their camera back is designed for 120. Personally, i have bought 220 backs for my cameras because they are cheaper and can still use 120 film without too many issues. 220 film saves about 1/3 in film cost and about the same in processing.

I'm not sure which 220 films i can get, but i will investigate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's a very comprehensive list of goodies to service the analogue underbelly Andrew. But you'd need I think to determine how much stock you can move, how quickly and how often the cycle is, rather than bring in a massive amount of stuff in a shipping container and have it expire before it is sold, or worse, some other "flavour of the month" turns a certain stock line into a "white elephant". Always a risk, so could be a good idea to have a list of what you can stock and actually buy in on a particular individual's request for it.

Once the shop is up and running, alright, form and orderly queue...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    That's a very comprehensive list of goodies to service the analogue underbelly Andrew. But you'd need I think to determine how much stock you can move, how quickly and how often the cycle is, rather than bring in a massive amount of stuff in a shipping container and have it expire before it is sold, or worse, some other "flavour of the month" turns a certain stock line into a "white elephant". Always a risk, so could be a good idea to have a list of what you can stock and actually buy in on a particular individual's request for it.

Once the shop is up and running, alright, form and orderly queue...
    Ideally i'd have all stock turned over every six months. I have a fair idea of what will sell well and what will be slower moving. As to how it will go in the real world, that is another story.

I'll be utilising eBay to sell products as well. There is a lot of people out there who don't come on apug for example. Even though the fees to sell on eBay are ridiculous, it is still a great way to gain more customers.

I am going to sell toy cameras too (Holga etc). I see those becoming a popular item for this business.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I didn't think your list looked over the top. Starting to look good Andrew

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Having worked in the photographic industry for over 20 years I have to congratulate you on having a go - I wish you all the best.

I agree with those people who have advised caution - start small, then build your stock levels as sales grow.

Your list of stock is very comprehensive - dare I say too comprehensive? Have you looked at minimum order quantities from the various distributors? Some of the lines you may want to stock may well turn out to be too expensive to stock based on expected sales/MOQ/prices from other on line vendors.

You also need to consider the expiry dates on stock - as an example I ordered through a Kodak distributor I know some 100 ISO Slide film - it expires 5/2011. They ordered the film for me directly from Kodak (this would have been around March this year - before Kodak handed all distribution over to APS). 14 months dating on film is not good from a commercial point of view...I for one don't like to buy film with less than 2 years to go to expiry..

Now I know, you know, and many people know that expiry dates are relative to film storage etc, but once a film is within 3-4 months of expiry date you really need to sell it fast....And regardless of what people say they will do, you can't rely on what they say.

Some films will sell - say if you manage to secure some stock of 220 then you will sell some - but how many? Perhaps you could order film based on a non-refundable deposit? Also as you are planning to stock/sell Ilford film have you spoken to CRK about them importing Ultra Large Format film when Ilford maufacture their ULF format/oddball format films each year. I know it's too late for this year, but might be worth considering for next year. You may not sell much 16x 20 sheet film, but there are many 1/4 plate, 1/2 plate, 5x7 cameras out there (you get the idea) that people would buy film for if they could get it easily - even if they have to pre-pay for it, and wait 3 months for delivery....

As for freight I'm sure you can find a freight broker who can arrange a decent freight rate for you. I've worked in distribution for the last 8 years, and we used to use a freight broker who secured us very good rates. Shipping batteries, chemicals etc happens every day - they can advise you of any special requirements etc (batteries need a sticker on the box, and some items need to be shipped by road freight. From memory if batteries are packed in individual packages in such a way that they cant touch each other and short themselves out then they can ship via air mail).

One last thought - don't forget the Photographic Trader for advertising - their rates are very cheap, and the people who buy it are those that are interested in older cameras and processes. Also are you setting up a web page to sell your stock? APUG and Ebay are good, but if you set up a web page then you willbe amazed how easily people will find you via search engines..

If I can be of any help send me a PM - I'd be glad to help
    A camera is only a black box with a hole in it....

my blog...some film, some digital http://andrewk1965.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Andrew, thanks for your reply.

Yes, it is going to be a standalone website www.analogphoto.com.au - It is being constructed as we type.

I am not sure how much people will buy so I will keep moderate quantities of things, bulk of things which i know are great sellers.

CR Kennedy have not been very helpful. I am going to contact their Sydney office tomorrow and see what they can do. I'd definitely be keen to offer ULF if they allow it. If not i have other options.

Shipping is a small concern which I have addressed.

My biggest concern is understanding what people want thus, this thread is here.

When I am back at my proper computer I will make sure I have addressed all the points you have made

Ak

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Also, take a look at the excel spreadsheet that I posted earlier. Ilford will be a key product line and I am committed to selling their products.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you can procure Ilford Delta 400 in 4x5" sheet film, you'll be inundated from the entire world!

I would love that film to be available, so would the rest of the world.

Mick.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan View Post
    If you can procure Ilford Delta 400 in 4x5" sheet film, you'll be inundated from the entire world!

I would love that film to be available, so would the rest of the world.

Mick.
    Mick,

Maybe i'll just throw my entire start up capital at Ilford for them to make it for me

I have done sillier things...

AK

Shooter
    35mm
    I apology if maybe someone asked the same but:

Would you make a shipping to Europe, Balcan, and what would be the price, days of transport etc..?
    "It's not about the pictures, concepts, people, human bodies, emotions, experimentations, colours, dreams, tricky scenes, camera or imaginations.. it's about the poetry behind them all."

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin