Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,501   Posts: 1,571,714   Online: 943
      
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101115 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 160
  1. #41
    ChrisC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    399
    Images
    27
    Speaking from across the ditch, it'll be brilliant to have what you proposed a lot closer than he typical US bunch. B&H's minimum of ~$60USD for shipping is getting more and more frustrating, as is paying $16.90 for a roll of 120 Portra 400NC locally. Only takes 10 rolls ordered from B&H to save enough to soak up all of the shipping costs.

    On a more personal note, HP5 and Portra 400 (both VC and NC) in 35mm, 120 and 4x5 with good trans Tasman shipping rates would guarantee my business. Also, colour chemicals would be wonderful. I've been going through Tetenal's New Zealand importers to get it, but they don't stock it meaning a minimum 10 week turnaround for their next order from the manufacturers. If you were going to go down the colour chem route, C-41 and RA-4 kits with a separate bleach and fix would be so much better, which I guess is Kodak or FujiHunt.

  2. #42

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    328
    Images
    7
    Hi Chris,

    I was in New Zealand for a month last year working for Canon, my previous employer. I noticed that you guys have it even worse than we do here in terms of product availability.

    Shipping from Australia to NZ is not terribly expensive when compared to that of US>NZ and i hope i can get a lot of NZ based photographers the products they need without exorbitant shipping costs.

    I will say that some chemicals will require surface shipment - anything that is an oxidiser - so bleach poses a problem, however i am in discussions with a company in NZ who specialise in drop shipment and that would reduce both the shipping cost and time involved in getting the materials to you. Stock would get shipped directly to this company and then as orders come about, they ship to customers. This also saves double handling. I'll know soon whether this service is cost effective.

    AK

  3. #43

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    London, England
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    327
    Images
    38
    If you see toy cameras being a large share of total film users, I would make it a prority to keep good stock of the cheapest possible film. Showing that film needn't cost the earth is a good way to encourage some interest in the medium, and I would say especially so among (younger) toy camera users and college students.

    Good luck!

  4. #44
    clayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,838
    Images
    57
    I'm still so blown away by the prices of film in NZ and AUS. It's like they're explicitly trying to kill it. Guess those JP trade agreements are really lucrative eh? :-/
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

    http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

  5. #45

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    328
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Solarize View Post
    If you see toy cameras being a large share of total film users, I would make it a prority to keep good stock of the cheapest possible film. Showing that film needn't cost the earth is a good way to encourage some interest in the medium, and I would say especially so among (younger) toy camera users and college students.

    Good luck!
    I think on a volume basis that the "toy camera" market is very important. If you saw the prices that those people were getting charged at places which sell toy cameras you would probably have a heart attack - processing, film, cameras - it's all out of control.
    A lot of people i know who are using toy cameras follow the Lomography ethos of "shoot anytime anywhere all the time" and as a result go through quite a lot of film.
    Whether that be high end slide or dirt-cheap B&W from the People's Republic, i will carry as much stock as possible.

  6. #46

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    328
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    I'm still so blown away by the prices of film in NZ and AUS. It's like they're explicitly trying to kill it. Guess those JP trade agreements are really lucrative eh? :-/
    I think they just have no idea what they are doing.


  7. #47
    hoffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,941
    Blog Entries
    1
    Images
    57
    Andrew, are you planning on providing processing services now or in the future(whether its from you or contracted via someone else)?

  8. #48
    ChrisC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    399
    Images
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewkirkby View Post
    Hi Chris,

    I was in New Zealand for a month last year working for Canon, my previous employer. I noticed that you guys have it even worse than we do here in terms of product availability.

    Shipping from Australia to NZ is not terribly expensive when compared to that of US>NZ and i hope i can get a lot of NZ based photographers the products they need without exorbitant shipping costs.

    I will say that some chemicals will require surface shipment - anything that is an oxidiser - so bleach poses a problem, however i am in discussions with a company in NZ who specialise in drop shipment and that would reduce both the shipping cost and time involved in getting the materials to you. Stock would get shipped directly to this company and then as orders come about, they ship to customers. This also saves double handling. I'll know soon whether this service is cost effective.

    AK
    Yeah shipping across the ditch really isn't too bad. I couldn't see it being anywhere near the mimimum B&H charges.

    Surface shipment wouldn't be a problem really. Chemicals are something that can be pretty easily planned for in advance, and a little bit of a wait time just means a good backlog of film to work through when it arrives. The 10 week turn around for my colour chems last time was a bit much though, but also understandable in the current climate. I just ordered 2 of each so I could place another order when I cracked into the second lot to ensure always having something in reserve. A much closer stockist would be a simply easy decision.

  9. #49

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    328
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    Andrew, are you planning on providing processing services now or in the future(whether its from you or contracted via someone else)?
    I will be offering processing and services from the moment the site goes online. This will be contracted to an already established lab.
    Dip & Dunk colour processing, B+W film processing, B+W hand printing, colour negative/positive printing etc.

  10. #50

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    18
    By far, the top of my wish list is 4x5 Fuji Acros, hopefully in boxes larger that 10 sheets! (All that one can get from Badger or B&H at the moment). Fuji instant film at a realistic price would also be nice - if the prices were fairer, I'm sure the toy camera people with their Holgaroids would jump on board. As far as chems go, Rodinal, Rodinal and more Rodinal.

    Wishing you the Best of Luck!



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin