Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,285   Posts: 1,535,250   Online: 1002

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesF View Post
    I just signed up to give my support to this venture! I have considered doing it myself over here, but I think the market would be too small, Aus is a better place to base the operations.

I too have had nightmares trying to source consumables locally, people are either not interested, or its super expensive. The one thing that seems to work well here is Fujifilm, they are totally happy to sell Colour paper at least direct to consumers, havn't tried film.

I am interested in Colour neg in 4x5, mainly Portra NC, and C-41 chems. Also basic BnW supplies would be welcome, like d76, dektol, paper, a few different BnW sheet films etc.
    Hi James,

Welcome to APUG

I was inspired to do this on a trip to NZ last year. I couldn't get any film anywhere.

The only thing i must tell you is that a lot of chemicals have to go via sea shipment. Developers and whatnot are OK, but bleach/blix and raw oxidisers must go via sea. At least you are not far away

What i am thinking of doing is re-packing bulk chemistry in bottles so that people don't have to go buying huge quantities.

I just have to get the Nitrogen bottle packing down-pat before i resell it. I certainly won't be happy if the chemicals go off quickly.

Thanks again,

Andrew

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewkirkby View Post
    Hi James,

Welcome to APUG

I was inspired to do this on a trip to NZ last year. I couldn't get any film anywhere.

The only thing i must tell you is that a lot of chemicals have to go via sea shipment. Developers and whatnot are OK, but bleach/blix and raw oxidisers must go via sea. At least you are not far away

What i am thinking of doing is re-packing bulk chemistry in bottles so that people don't have to go buying huge quantities.

I just have to get the Nitrogen bottle packing down-pat before i resell it. I certainly won't be happy if the chemicals go off quickly.

Thanks again,

Andrew
    Thanks

Surface shipping is fine, as Chris said earlier, you can anticipate the need for chems pretty early, to offset any delays.

I've been using Butane to exclude the air from my chems, I bought a 5L Tetenal kit around a year ago and its stilll going great, just devved some sheets today. If the Kodak c-41 and E-6 chems were available Id be pretty keen on those instead tho.

Ive bought a grand total of about 5 rolls of 135mm film in NZ, everything else has come from the 'states. I don't even bother locally really. Ive been getting the stuff posted to a mate, who then forwards it with USPS, its not an ideal setup tho.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    James,

I might investigate butane... Do you just get it from the lighter refill cans? It's a bit agricultural but if it works...

I am really looking forward to getting this happening...

AK

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Andrew, there is reference to using Butane here on Apug if you search. I believe I've read that Tetanal Protectan is a Butane/Propane mixture sold for the purpose of keeping photo chems fresh, but on a larger scale I expect you'd be better off with Nitrogen.

All the best in your efforts!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Grenet View Post
    Andrew, there is reference to using Butane here on Apug if you search. I believe I've read that Tetanal Protectan is a Butane/Propane mixture sold for the purpose of keeping photo chems fresh, but on a larger scale I expect you'd be better off with Nitrogen.

All the best in your efforts!
    A cylinder of Nitrogen can be had quite easily and relatively cheaply from BOC Gases or Air Liquide but regulators might be too expensive.

I will investigate Protectan

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I'd love someone in the region to supply alt process chems - Pt/Pd, Collodion etc...

Also get in touch with Fuji/Ilford and get on board the ULF runs etc...

NZ is a JOKE for film and chem supply (Kodak took 5 months to deliver an E6 kit) - you really have to do your research, and/or fork out for the international shipping
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nick mulder View Post
    I'd love someone in the region to supply alt process chems - Pt/Pd, Collodion etc...

Also get in touch with Fuji/Ilford and get on board the ULF runs etc...

NZ is a JOKE for film and chem supply (Kodak took 5 months to deliver an E6 kit) - you really have to do your research, and/or fork out for the international shipping
    What photographic magazines do you have in NZ? I might advertise in one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hey, Andrew, Protectan seems to work pretty well. And in my experience (from my PhD 20 years ago) decent regulators can be prohibitively expensive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would like a film store that sells EVERYTHING produced by ALL manufacturers, for all markets. I would love to be able to go to one place and simply know that they will have WHATEVER I am looking for...and WHATEVER THERE IS. There are many good online film sources, but none that I know of truly offer 100% selection of all available goods. That would be a deal maker for me, personally. It is so hard to keep track of what films, papers, and chemicals are available in what markets, and when, as it is had to keep track of what products are actually being made (or no longer being made) by manufacturers. Even their own Websites are often unhelpful in this regard. I really wish that I could get things like Fuji Natura, 120 Superia 100 and 400, and whatever papers (AND whatever surfaces) are available, alongside my regularly-purchased items (like HP5, Delta 3200, Reala, etc.). If this place existed, and had competitive prices, I would patronize it almost exclusively.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I just checked the can and Protectan is 20 - 40% propane and >60% n-butane.

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin